Youth weekend in our neck of the woods...

Mike / Tx

Well it didn't start out with as big a bang as we would have liked. The weather was warm and it was foggy to the point of hardly being able to see the woods from the stands.

The oldest grandson hunted a tripod across the pasture from me in hopes of putting this big ol fellow down before regular gun season opens this coming weekend.
attachment.php

As luck would have it and good plans usually happen, this one was a no show. The youngest of the three and I were sitting in a pop up some 50yds from a feeder and could barely make out there were deer there at first light but nothing else. They didn't hang long. Just as the fog was lifting a bit, we had a couple of big bucks fighting less than a hundred yards up in the woods from our stand but never laid eyes on either of them.

Sunday the oldest sat the tripod again. Around 9'ish he was staring down a nice 10 point but we had decided to give it a pass this year. He watched it chase a doe across the pasture back and to his right and when he turned back around he noted a nice one coming up from behind and left of him. He made up his mind that this one looked as good as the other and decided to take him. After getting the rifle up and steady he made a wonderful shot which dropped him on the spot at just over 200yds. ( I think he is really starting to like Paw's 25-06 AI)
attachment.php

attachment.php

I have to say he is one handsome buck, and that leaves the other one for me to track down with my pistol or bow starting next weekend.

Attachments

• Crabby Backside.jpg
    Crabby Backside.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 192
Nice buck!!!!!
Youth season in MO was fairly bland. Weather uncooperative(unless you like hunting in a T-shirt and fighting skeeters), deer numbers down, and highly variable wind. Total deer seen=2 but one was a spike and Grandson made his shot. One and done. Shot was longer than I really wanted him to take but deer was calm and stationary so plenty of time to settle down and shoot.

Back