Youth entry level shotgun

chevyhelm

Inactive
im looking at getting my 9 year old son a shotgun. He is familiar with gun safety rules, and we frequently go shooting his Cricket Bolt Action .22, and he also shoots my Sig p238, and 5.56 rounds through an ar with surprisingly good accuracy. Ive heard bad things about the rossi single shot with 2 barrels... i would like atleast a 2 shot. any sugestions on somwhat of a budget. thanks for your imput!

Remington also makes youth and ultra-youth, 13 and 12 in length of pull respectively. We bought the U-Y for my daughter who is 4'11" while a youth LOP (13") will fit my wife (5'3", petite) just fine.

The Remington wood stocks LOP are what they are, no spacers unless you make them yourself, I believe some of the other brands have stocks with adjustable spacers and there might be such available for the 870's.

The 870 is available in 18 and 21 inch barrels.

Gander Mt typically has display models of the different brands, at least the ones in northeast Ohio do (Mossberg,Remington,etc).

Invest in a phone call to G.M. and then a trip and check the fit before you buy.

Look into a Mossberg 505 Youth All Purpose Model #57120.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/sho...1,2300&redirect=1&lastnode=1&filterNodes=2301

My Mother-in-law bought one last year. She has short arms and was afraid that the larger gauge calibers would be too much for her. She loves this gun. I spent some time with it myself and it is a nice firearm. It holds about five 2-1/2" .410 shot shells and about four of the longer 3" shells. If you can find one, check it out. Mossberg also has a 20 guage version of the same gun, if he wants/can handle it.

I would not suggest a single shot 20 ga. or .410 There is darn little difference between 12 and 20 ga recoil even in guns of equal weight if you choose your ammo carefully. 3/4 oz of shot @ 1200 fps is going to recoil the same from a 12 as with a 20. You CAN buy and shoot heavier loads in the 12, but you don't need to do that with a youth. 410s are experts guns, not for novices. It is darn hard to hit wingshots with them. OK for shooting squirrels in trees, but a kid will just get frustrated with the lack of success hitting clays or birds.

The little single shot guns weigh 4-5 lbs and recoil is wicked compared to a 7b lb 12 pump or auto loader.

When my son was 10 I looked at a lot of guns and finally found a 12 ga. Mossberg 9200 semi auto with a 24" barrel dirt cheap. The forend was cracked, but Mossberg replaced it free after I bought it. I had the stock cut down to fit him and with lighter loads it recoiled less than any pump or single shot 20. The 12 shoots better patterns too, and he was quickly hitting clays and dove with it.

If you can find a remington 1100 20 ga youth, you will have a great gun.

Mossberg isnt as good a gun as remington makes IMHO having owned many of each. They also make a newer 11-87 light contour in 20 ga that is a real fine shooter the kid will hand down to his kid and so on.

An older 870 wingmaster not the cheap one is another great kids gun that he will pass on down. Look for this in any gun you buy, not the cheapest.

1100 20ga youths are a great gun. my wife hunts with the 1100 youth or 1 of 2 Ithaca 37 16ga guns that I built to the same proportion and weight as the 1100.

The only issue with the 1100 youths are that they are getting pricey and harder to find.

There are 2 on different gun sites, I have no financial interest in either.

I pm'd you the location/link, unfortunately, they are a bit pricey but probably worth it.

Here is an editted link to gunbroker that will pull up 20ga youth shotguns so you can see that there are numerous models available and going prices

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=20*+youth+-rifle+-savage+-243&PageIndex=2

Last edited:
My daughter handles an 870 Compact Jr. in 20 ga fine. Light game loads are no problem, and heavy turkey loads can be shot here and there without problems. She's 11 and slight, and with the good fit of the short stock (which includes spacers for growth) and Supercell pad, it's a nice and affordable setup.

I'm personally a Mossberg man, so a comparable Mossberg should also work well, it just won't have the excellent recoil pad (it can be added via a Sims pad though).

Lots of good options out there.

Thank You

Thank you everyone that responded. i think ive gotten the information i need to make a good choice. thanks for all the advise and help.

Back