YOUR RARE RIFLE, starting: Cottontail single-shot .22 LR/.22 WMR

m52a2

Inactive
The Cottontail .22 LR/.22 WMR by by Golden Bear(not the Golden Bear online), is so rare that I have found no reference online to this gun in over 20 years. It shoots either .22 LR or .22 WMR simply by unscrewing the chamber and replacing it with th .22 magnum chamber using a special tool.

more photos

cottontail rifle photos

Attachments

• cottontail rifle 1.jpg
    cottontail rifle 1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 91
  • cottontail rifle 3.jpg
    cottontail rifle 3.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 76
  • cottontail rifle 7.jpg
    cottontail rifle 7.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 79
A nice little piece.

It looks like a hobby manufacturer's work. (Which means you may not have much luck, at all, in trying to track down any more information.)

#1 A Marlin LTS. Only about 2700 made in 1988 and 1989 in 30-30. It is a 16" trapper with straight grip. Basically a newer Maurader. While I'm not certain I believe it is less common than the Maurader. I know this is the only LTS I've ever actually seen, but have ran across 4-5 Mauraders over the years.

#2 A Marlin LTDSS Only 500 were made in 2005. It is basically a SS guide gun with 18.5" barrel in 35 Rem. I don't have a photo of it alone, just the one alongside the 1894 in 44 mag.

My most unique rifle is probably a pre-WWI Mauser in 366-06 (9.3x64 based on the 30-06 case). 35 Whelen from when Col. Whelen still was Capt. Whelen ;)

I have a superbly accurate Mauser Deutche Sportmodel single shot .22. If I misspelled the German, forgive me. It's about the size of a K98, but it's a single shot .22. That's the rarest I own. Grandpa's uncle brought it back from WWII. 5 of those and a double barrel, 12 gauge Sauer and Sohn came back with him, I believe.

That "Cottontail" is an interesting little rifle! It proves that a person can learn something new everyday! I've never seen/heard of one. How does it shoot? Is one cartridge more accurate in it that the other?

Thanks for sharing. :)

It is fun to shoot and seems more accurate using .22 WMR than with .22 LR. its handicap is it is just so small ! it would be great for a youth, but none of my nine will get there hands on it !

Just this. 1993 B West Imported Dragunov Tiger with SVD furniture.

9u2y2avu.jpg

Second would be my 1961 Seneca Green Nylon 66.

Hard to tell the color in this pic.
ajejare4.jpg

Mine on the top, my friend's Mohawk Brown on the bottom.
ahehyza9.jpg

Back