Your Preferred 1911 for ~$1000

TunnelRat

Hi all,
Some years back we had a similar such thread. One of the popular recommendations then was the Dan Wesson Heritage, which was about $1200. These days the Heritage in its newest SKU seems to be $1500. I’m not saying it’s not worth that, but that’s far enough away from $1000 that to me it’s out of the running.

I am not sure what’s the recommendation these days. I had a friend ask me and I honestly don’t know. I’ve owned a Colt, Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, and then a Wilson Combat. All of them had issues that needed tweaking. Is Colt still the standard with CZ now in charge (I almost think that would be an improvement)?

As a note, I’m talking a standard 5” government model.

Thanks,
-TR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S&W E Series, Springfield Ronin, Magnum Research de1911g. You might find a few colts and sigs in that price range too. The market is inflated at the moment, but search around a while.

I don't own a 1911, but if I did then it would probably be either a Smith & Wesson SW1911 or a Ruger SR1911. I got my brother a fancy NRA Edition SR1911 recently that's really nice, although I would opt for a plainer one with a bare stainless steel finish.

Attachments

• Ruger_SR1911_NRA_Edition_LQ.jpg
    Ruger_SR1911_NRA_Edition_LQ.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 1,668
I don't own a 1911, but if I did then it would probably be either a Smith & Wesson SW1911 or a Ruger SR1911. I got my brother a fancy NRA Edition SR1911 recently that's really nice, although I would opt for a plainer one with a bare stainless steel finish.

Has your brother had good luck with it? I remember most people had good opinions about them when they came out. About the only complaint I ever remember is some people having sight breakage issues, but I think that was just a bad batch.

Very nice present btw.

S&W E Series, Springfield Ronin, Magnum Research de1911g. You might find a few colts and sigs in that price range too. The market is inflated at the moment, but search around a while.

I saw the Ronin and I almost recommended it because I had good luck overall with my Range Officer. The E series look nice as well.

Honest question here and I almost made it another thread. I have never owned a Kimber. All I’ve heard is they were once very good, then not so good, but then I haven’t heard anything since. Can someone talk about the validity of those comments? I’ve heard plenty of gun store rumors in the past that didn’t pan out in my own experience and it’s hard to separate rumor from truth.

Honest question here and I almost made it another thread. I have never owned a Kimber. All I’ve heard is they were once very good, then not so good, but then I haven’t heard anything since. Can someone talk about the validity of those comments? I’ve heard plenty of gun store rumors in the past that didn’t pan out in my own experience and it’s hard to separate rumor from truth.

Tough subject. I have a 3" that runs like a top and has from the get go. Some think it is a Unicorn. Some do okay, others don't. The vast majority are good serviceable pistols that give their owners a good value. There are some parts that you might need to have replaced if they give you problems. I have a friend who has a well worn Kimber that he had his gunsmith put $500 of work into. $200 to $500 seems to be about what you can expect to pay a good 1911 smith to tune one up if you happen to be unlucky and get one that gives you issue. You would have to do that in about 25K to 50K with most "budget" production 1911s regardless.

I have bought non-running Kimber, Colt, S&W and Charles Daly 1911s for very cheap and put Ed Brown, Briley, Wilson parts in them and resold them for a good profit.

Has your brother had good luck with it? I remember most people had good opinions about them when they came out. About the only complaint I ever remember is some people having sight breakage issues, but I think that was just a bad batch.

Very nice present btw.

I only just got it for him a couple weeks ago, so he hasn't shot it yet. It's all very nicely finished and smooth, so I doubt that it will have any trouble functioning through. From what I've read about them, Ruger SR1911s in general are solid, reliable, and relatively inexpensive (special editions notwithstanding) 1911s.

Thank you, I actually posted threads about it on other forums, but got so many rude responses about it from folks who didn't care for the aesthetics that I never bothered posting it here because I figured that it would just get more of the same.

Nice, thanks for the info. Your brother should have a great time.

Sorry to hear people being that way. Seems someone always has to be negative. When I see pictures of things I don’t like I just don’t comment.

I've had several Colt 1911 pistols in my time (still have a much loved Seventy Series Gold Cup, replete with the collet-style bushing, that I've pounded thousands of rounds through competing in Bullseye matches), but if I were buying a Government-sized, 1911 today, in the price range you referenced, it would be another SIG. My Model TTT was priced way under what the quality of material, finish and workmanship would suggest. It has proven to be a very accurate pistol and, more importantly if the pistol is intended for self-defense duties, utterly reliable (something I can't say for a couple of Colts I've had in the past).

It's been awhile since I checked, but Kimber made more 1911s than all the other manufacturers combined.
So when somebody rants on a forum about their problem with a Kimber, remember that there are 100s of thousands of Kimber owners that are very happy. Helps to have perspective.

I've only owned two Kimbers and imo they are very good pistols. I have no problem recommending them.

My Remington 1911 R1 Stainless. It runs better than the newest series Colt 1911 I bought a few years back. Around $1,000 now I believe.

Any makers making a series 70 type 1911 under 1000.00?
After building my own series 70 with a Federal Ordinance frame, I love the series simplicity.

At that price point (using MSRP), I would look at the Colt Competition Series, the Springfield Ronin or Range Officer, or the SW E Series. All new Dan Wessons are above the OP's price point.

I would stay away from Sigs or Kimbers.

After buying a Dan Wesson, I see it as money well spent. They compare favorably to guns selling for 3 times more money.

Back