Your opinion on the Howa 1500?

Z400ACDC

I traded for one that looks like new. It is a blue with wood stock. I couldn't wait to shoot it so I threw a cheap Barska 4-16x40 I had around and had it shooting coke cans at 100 yards in about 12 shots. What ammo do you like in 223? Is there a good scope in the 125-175 range? THANKS!!!!!

I had a S&W 1500 (actually a private-labeled Howa 1500), and it was the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I have never seen a Howa 1500 that would not shoot well.

Howa's about that then?

Here's my opinion on the 1500 attached. As seen through Nikon Prostaff 3-9x42. @ 100 yards. Leupold adjustable rings. It's the same thing every weekend.

Nosler B-Tip 40gr over 24.5gr H322. Any brass you like, any primer you like.

-SS-

Last edited:
Anyone have an opinion on a scope and at what zero distance I should set it up? I would like to make it a flat shooter up to 200 yards.

I just got my scope from Midway in the mail this week, it's a Vortex Crossfire 4x12x40AO, It has one of the best Warranty's and delivered cost me 168.50.:eek: I know it's a china made scope but the reviews have all been fantastic.. Haven't been to range yet but so far it's really a nice looking scope, clear glass, tight adjustments, adjustable eyepiece, tall turrets that can be rezeroed after you get the rifle sighted in.. It seems nice so far!! Good luck in your search dude!!:)

I believe you will be hard pressed to find a better firearm in the accuracy department. And I will put a +1 on the Vortex scopes. The warranty is awesome. And the glass is good. I would take a Vortex over a Nikon any day of the week. http://vortexoptics.com

Thanks guys. I will check into the Vortex. You know whats wild? I ran 250 rounds through it today and that barska stayed zeroed:eek: Ya reckon I just got lucky? Its had several thousand rounds of 22 on that scope, but I figured the 223 would break it. I want to adjust the trigger on it. I would like to get it close to my Savage accutrigger.

I own one but in .300 WM with the hogue OD green stock, I can put 5 rounds in an inch at 200 yds with my reloads on a good day and even on a bad day it stays within MOA. Mine is topped with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 power. thats really all I need for the hunting I do with it

I wish I had a Howa with a blue stock....I would like one in .30-06..

...and It would shoot excellent.

100_2820.jpg

dont know how there warantee works but ive been dealing with a weatherby vanguard (basicaly the same gun) and im not impressed. Weatherby has no address to return defective guns. You have to go through an authorized repair center. Mine was gander mountain. I had to pay 30 bucks for the gas to get there 40 more bucks for them to ship it. I thought i was paying to have it shipped to weatherby but a month later i get a call from another gander mountain that had gotten it. Supposidly they have a gunsmith. I guess hes suppose to evaluate it and determine what needs to be done. the problem with the gun was it had a bad (rough barrel) This so called gunsmith shop didnt even have a bore scope. Now im not saying ive been ripped off. the gunsmith was very nice when he called. Its just that it seems like a guy is putting his gun into a black hole! with ruger remington savage winchester ect i can box a gun up and send it in the mail for about 15 bucks and it goes right to the factory.

Loyd that sucks,,I have'nt had anything to complain about my Vanguard, it's cool. All the rifles made in that factory are generally free of problems.. They are a quality company I beleive.:)

Hooligan, this rather surprises me. I own two Weatherby rifles, a MKV in 340 WBY and a Vanguard in 300WBY. I think this says more about the service of GM than Weatherby. I have to assume that there aren't many competant gunsmiths in your area. I live in rifle heaven so I would have to take mine less than a mile for repair, but it not needed.

Howa/Vanguard barrels are hammer forged on machinery that is state of the art. All the major European manufacturers use only hammerforgeing, SAko FN, Steyr, Saur, ect. In Europe anything else is considered Mom and Pop operation. The benefit of hammerforgeing is that the barrels come out as smooth as lapped buttongrooved barrels,that is why Sako, Howa ect use this process.

I bought my Vanguard on impulse while shopping for a good pair of boots at the local Scheels. The price was good and when I saw the factory target, .6", I knew I wasn't going get anymore rifle for the money.

With my handloads I have come very close to the factory target. I have taken two nice mule deer and neither of them took a step'

I have owned quite few rifles, since 1972 when I bought my first magnum rifle, a MDL 700, 7mag. IMO opinion the Vanguard is superior in build quality to any Rem, Browning, or Savage I have ever fired or owned. It has many features, that some consider old fashioned, like a solid bolt, integral recoil lug, and bomb proof extractor. Rem, Savage, Browning Tikka don't have these features and all are more expensive. I wouldn't trade my Vanguard for three MDl 700's, even though none of my Rems ever failed me.

I think I feel your disappointment, but I guess there are going to some rifles can come less than perfect. I hope that GM can fix this for you to your satis faction, 'cause I have never heard a problem with a Vanguard barrel.

Last edited:
wasnt holligan it was me with the troubled rifle. This rifle will shoot 1 inch groups for the first two 5 shot groups then the groups will open up fast and after about 20 shots will shoot near 5 inches. clean the barrel and it looks like discoracings pretty blue stock. It is so full of copper that a tight patch will barely go through until you either soak it overnight or brush the crap out of it. Gun is a 257 wby and has about a 100 rounds through it and has done this right from the git go. As to the gunsmith no we dont have a quality smith near by and even if we did gander mountain has a state headquarters in lower michigan and thats where all the guns from michigan go. no choise in the matter. Ive actually got two of them this one a stainless 257 and a blued 300wby. Now i think there good guns but the stocks are crap and so is the trigger. Personal id take a rem sps over one anyday. there stocks arent any better though. thing is i can take a sps and find a reminton take off stock from a cdl for around a 100 bucks and put together a gun that is not only just as accurate as a vaquard but looks much better then anything you can do to a vanguard. to be honest that weatherby space gun stock is about as akward of a stock as anyone has ever put on a gun. to each his own though. Ive got one buddy who loves them.

Sorry, LLoyd, about the mixup.

Every Weatherby I have ever fired fouled quick. These are chamberings considered grossly overpowered by many. I spend much more time removing copper from my bore , than applying it. It's just kind of the price you pay, especially in the beginning. These aren't really target rifles, they're as credible a hunting tool, as you can get for the money, IMO. The trigger on mine is sure not great, I adapt to them usually though. The tupperware stock ain't great either, but for $379 out the door I'm satisfied. That was five years ago though. I have looked at after market stocks and am considering something for later maybe, but right now I only shoot it 12 times at the most and only that because I'm trying to test maybe three different reloads through the chrony. Shoulder stays sore a week or so, so nothings perfect.

Last edited:
Back