Your Oldest Shooter

Prichard

What's the oldest gun you've got that's a shooter?

I shoot a Rem 721 and a Mossberg 600 from the 60s.

[This message has been edited by Prichard (edited July 21, 1999).]

I've got a 16 gauge Western Arms double barrel (two trigger) that was purchased new in the 30's that I used to shoot regularly (until about 10 years ago when I relegated it to display duties). It was my Great Grandfathers. Western Arms was a division of Ithaca Guns and this particular shotgun (the only gun they made) was manufactured from 1929 until some time in the 40's.

I have a Origie (sp?) that was probably made in the late 30's or early 40's, which my Grandfather brought back from a generous German Officer during WWII (at least the Kraut didn't say he couldn't take it). I shoot it eveyr now & then, especially when someone points to it in my gun room and says "Does THAT work?"

Other than those, I have a couple hunting guns from the 70's that I shoot every now & then, but Most of my "workhorses" are newer guns.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited July 22, 1999).]

I have a .36 Colt Navy revolver made sometime in the late 1860's. As the story goes, my great-great grandfather bought it brand new. It has since been passed down to each first born son all the way to me (technically, it belongs to my son but he's only five ;)). It has been shot regularly by every owner (and rebuilt/reblued several times) since it was new. Out of respect to my ancestors I take it to the range at least twice a year. I guess that makes it a shooter, but I only load it lightly and don't even let it begin to get warm. I'm not sure how much I can trust 140 year old steel and I sure don't want to be the one dufus in the family who ruins the gun.

I have shot an 8mm Japanize(sp?) Luger. My grand-father brought it back from WW2. We even have the paper work he used to get it to the states.

Don't have it anymore as it has been passed on down to my nephew. But it is a 16 ga. Wards Hurcules single shot made around 1916-1918. Was my first shotgun as it was for most of us kids. Was passed down through our family since my great... well so long ago, don't think anyone in the family remembers who purchased it. Jason at 15 is now using it. I once got 7 snow geese with it in one shot. Hey at 14 gettin um on the ground still puts em in the pot.

Richard

Polish M44 made in 1952. Doesn't look like it's had more than 50 round through it before I acquired it.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited July 22, 1999).]

I just sold it not a month ago.....a 2nd generation colt saa, in 45 colt, made in either 55 0r 57 I forget which, it had beautiful case hardening still, and the rampant horse grips, the gun was surprisingly tight and accurate, I went looking to buy it back and the guy I sold it to had just sold it to a guy who was determined to holster it and from the way the info was relayed would probably shoot it apart............another mistake..........it was a durn fine example,,,,fubsy.

I got a Marlin 30-30 made in early 1900's. Got it from my grandfather, do not know where he got it from. has a broken firing pin I gotta replace, dang hadn't thought about that rifle in years, maybe I'll go get the part this weekend...

Colt Officer's Model Match heavy barrel .38 special. (6") Built in the early '30's, just before they came out with the .357 on the same frame. Most accurate pistol I own, despite the fact that I abuse it with extremely heavy handloads.

I shoot this pistol regularly, and hunt with it on occasion. Because of its extreme accuracy and stout frame, I've even loaded up a deer load for it for sub-25-yard shots.
Never gotten to do it, though.
Funny thing about that old gun. When the balloon went up and 4 guys broke into my house one night 5 years ago, it wasn't the 1911A1 or the shotgun I grabbed; it was the 6" revolver. Big heavy bbl. points well in the dark, and was a comfort as I pursued. (No shots fired. [whew])

That would be my 1911.... NO WAIT... my Shiloh Sharps 1874... WHAT? OOH when they were made old.

Lets see, though I don't shoot it all that often, maybe once or twice every year or two my oldest made gun would be a Marlin 1889, shipped form the Factory in 1892.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited July 22, 1999).]

I haven't shot them myself but we have a double barrel 12 gauge and another single barrel both of which were owned by my grandfather and one by my great grandfather.
Both would be over 100 years old. Not sure how old I'll have to find out one day.
One has had it stocks remade because apparently someone hit a wallaby with it :) I know the double barrel was used by my grandfather in live pigeon shooting :)

They were last shot maybe 10 years ago but as soon as I get them check out I'll start using them again. We also have my other grandfathers 12 gauge single barrel. A .410 of is father is floating around one of my realtives places and I intend to get it.
We also have my dads anshutz from the 50's.

Needless to say that while these are registered they will never be given up.

------------------
New FREE Gun Auctions at http://www.gun-center.com/auctions.html

My old S&W .357, built in the late '30s.

------------------
Ignorance is takin' over,
We gotta take the power back.
--Rage Against The Machine

I also have a Remington model 721 in a .270. This is an excellent shooter. I took 2 nine point bucks, two does, and 3 turkeys with her this past season (only had to put a Leopold on her to get her suitable to hunt with). I've taken to calling her "Buster". This gun was purchased by my Great-great uncle in the early 50's. I truly love this rifle.

Uncle C also left me an L.C. Smith side-by-side 20 guage. This was the first gun he bought, probably sometime in the mid 20's. She's put several dove on the pit. I call her "Sweet".

Inheritance is the toughest way to get a gun.

------------------
"I am convinced that we can do to guns what we've done to drugs: create a multi-billion dollar underground market over which we have absolutely no control."

George L. Roman

"The U.S. Constitution may be flawed, but it's a whole lot better than what we have now."

"If we can put a man on the moon, why can't we put Clinton there?"

-Anonymous

As far as being used regularly, I've got my Dad's Remington 11-48 12gauge auto that is my main hunting shotgun. It was made in 1952.

But for steady use, my daily carry gun is a pre-70 series Colt Commander built in 1959. Bought it dirt cheap, fixed it up and shoot it often.

As stamped B.S.A.Co. 1916 SHT L.E. III* is my oldest. Still in full military configuration, but was arsenal reworked, #s don't match.
My father has Tower musket dating from Revolutionary War time period, that he purchased at an auction years ago. He had it checked out and appraised by a very knowledgable smith who verified the lockwork as original from that period. The stock had been reshaped and it was converted to percussion at some time. The previous owner had used for shooting and hunting, and my father has fired it a couple of times with very light loads.
B

I have an old damascus barrelled .12ga Henry double hammer gun. I shoot black powder or very low brass smokeless ammo on occasion. Still works just fine. Made some time in the 1880's I believe. Havn't shot it in a while.

Back