YOU PICK........type of deer camp?

Rojoe67

Just thought it would be interesting to see what you guys and girls like for a deer camp set-up? My so called camp is a self built mini Steel Master- www.steelmasterusa.com. It has qualities of a little aircraft hanger. It's an A-Model, 20x26 in size with a wood stove at the west end for heat. I put in two cheap 2'x2' windows at each end, gable vents in the two peaks, and a 3' walk door with screen. It has handled a heavy snow load that is normal in northern Michigan. As the last few years gone by I like to work on it in the summer months. I made a little bunk room for 2 and in the main room I built a bunk for 3. I got an old fold out sofa from a friend that can sleep another 2. If yet another would show up he or she gets the old Army cot. I think the cot might be the best bed in the shack? I have 8 old hand me down chairs and a table. I put in a 15.00 laundry room wash sink and built a counter on both sides. Last year I wired the place for my little generator to run lights and minor stuff. I just can't get used to even the soft spoken Generac. Seems to spoil the solitude of the north lands. I find a propane light is too much noise at times. My best little project was the stand up shower and a 5 gallon water bag (solar camp shower) I love a hot shower after a day in the woods... My 2 burner Coleman stove and a little crank up/solar power radio. The library/thinking room/study/wc/outhouse are all in one about 40 yards south of the building. That is about it. One of these days when I get my rear in gear I will take a few pics and share them. My little hunting camp sits on my wooded 20 acres up north. I have another 32 acres of land locked state land thats thick woods on my south western corner. It is a nice small get away about 3 miles from a little get what you need town. I just love it up there. I am lucky to have a great friend and neighbor up there who has nearly a section (640). His land is 80% hay fields with woods and 9 small water fowl ponds and a major river on his back line.

What do you like to call camp? Do you have a stationary place to hunt from? Do you like to try a new location each year? Do you pull a trailer or set up the tent. I like all ways and have been lucky over the years to hunt in different ways and places. Please feel free to share your ideas. Thanks :D

Last edited:
Portable plywood cabin

A picture of the cabin is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.qtm.net/~ght/dogjaw/deercamp.htm
Here's some basic plans in Word doc format, and will open up in Explorer.
Cabin Plans

It's 15 X 24', with a 6 X 7' outhouse/shower on the back. The plywood is 1/2" CDX grade. The picture shown has the cabin slightly shorter, but showed the best general view of how it's built. Several of the pictures are from inside the cabin. We put down a cheap plasic tarp on the ground with carpet over that. The bunks are home made with 4" foam. We haul everything is a 2 axle trailer (it isn't exactly light).

The sides and roof are tongue and groove. We did this by gluing/screwing strips on both sides of the plywood at 1 edge to make the groove. We slide the pieces together and use 3 drywall screws and a cordless drill to hold each wall seam together.
The roof is also tongue and grove. We put strips at the bottom to locate at the top of the wall. The tops have a strip of 16 ga. sheet metal bent to hook into the ridge beam.
The ridge beam is 16 ga. formed into a box, and each piece is 10 feet long. We made clamps to hold the beam sections together, then put a 3/8" cable under it with a 12" post to use as a suspension support (golden gate bridge upside down). You can walk down the center of the roof.

We use a home made LP gas heater with a stainless steel water jacket around the exhaust. It holds 25 gallons of hot water for cooking and cleaning.

We set up a 12 vdc demand water pump from a camper for the shower. You mix your water in a 5 gal pale and pump it from there. You can also hang the bucket up high with a hose/spray nozzle out the bottom. We did this for years, but my dad always seems to come up with a project for each year. (sure beats the stand up showers we took outside in 10 degree weather with a pan of water)

It takes 3 of us about 8 hours to totally set up and 5 hrs to take down.

Nice camp - Jaw

Jaw, you have a great little set up there...... nice photo's of the camp and the fella's too. Ain't the UP great........ Thanks for the info.... :D

My camp gets referred to as "Lil' Havana". 8 X 10 wall tent and enough blue tarps to cover a football field. Oh yea, a fire you have to stand back from. Home sweet home.
dean

the club where I hunt, has an old house, built in 1850. In the beginning, it was the Overseer's house, on a 30,000 Acre plantation. We have all the comforts, including Sat TV, modern kitchen, new plumbing and electric. Out back, we have three barns, a skinning shed, walk in cooler, and tractor sheds.
Not a bad place to kick back.
We have 1200+ acres on lease, and just picked up another 750 for the coming fall.

.......oh, and draft beer:)

Mannlicher, I'm VERY jealous, not only on your setup but also the size of your huntin' grounds; so much so that I'm going to be childish and ask you why you like to lick men. :D

my house

i live on a farm in rural Saskatchewan. I can find several large mule deer within walking range of the house. We live only about half an hours drive from the famous ARGO bush where Milo Hansen brought down his buck. we have several small lakes in the area where waterfowl fly through in large numbers every year.

personally im very happy with the area. its great country, everyone knows me and lets me hunt on their land. its a great setup.

hmmmm, kay....

joke ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jk)
n.
Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
A mischievous trick; a prank.
An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
Informal.
Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.

:rolleyes:

I hunt from my inlaws camp, it is an old mobile home on a lake and is remote. I enjoy a camp that has some comforts but not like home. I enjoy roughing it as I feel it is what the old deer camps were about and I guess I enjoy the nastalgia of the old days. I even sleep under the stars or in a tent if I am hunting the remote woods as I have gone 10-15 miles deep some times as N.H. has a deer population of 1 deer per sqaure mile at best. HINT dont buy an out of state license for N.H. go to Maine lol, N.H. Fish and game is a political disaster. We have had so many directors and different people running the deer program they should put in a revolving door!

Back