• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

You know what this place needs?

XDoctor

We have a great group of people who read this forum. Its too bad there isn't an area for off-topic chat. I've seen too many really entertaining or educational threads shut down because they were 'not firearms related.' With a new section of off topic threads, they could be moved rather than closed.

Just my two pennies.

I dont make the calls here, but I agree 100% with the one that will be made.

NO.

There are plently of forums with OT's and imho, they arent as good as this one.

but things are locked too much here for my tastes.

Xdoctor-
It's a regular request and a search should provide our previously stated reasons for not allowing off-topic posts. It basically comes down to the fact that this is a firearms board. We desire to keep it that way.

Avis-
I've closed more than my share of late and I do understand your frustration with some of those decisions. But you're still a relatively new member and wouldn't necessarily remember the days of 1998-2002. Back then we all understood that this site was not just about firearms but about responsible firearms ownership. We often looked at threads from the viewpoint of the fence sitters and asked, "Does this really show us in the proper light".

And so it is that, of late, I've closed threads that make us appear as bigots....most are not; I've closed threads that make us appear as trigger happy white trash....very few are; and I've closed threads that make us appear as an inarticulate anti-social mob.

These are my calls to make in those forums that I moderate. They will never be popular, but someone has to make those calls to the best of their ability.
Rich

Back