You Have 3 Sigs To Choose From......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike H

You have 3 sigs to choose from :

P225
P228
P229 (in .40 S&W)

Assuming that all other things being equal (how well you shoot it, concealability etc), just which of these 3 specific handguns is the "best" I can never separate the P228 in 9mm and the P229 in .40S&W. Perhaps if some of you step forward with a personal preference, it may help me decide once and for all because I know there are contributors here who have preferences for each of the 3 models shown. Any help given in resolving this long standing mind teaser is appreciated,

Regards

------------------
Mike H

I like the 229, blackened stainless steel slide,chambered in a more powerful cartridge either 40S&W or 357 Sig.Converts to either cartridge with a simple barrel switch.The 228 is an excellent gun as well but I just perfer the 40/357 chamberings in the 229

Mike H; You left out my 1st choice; the Sig
P220A in .45 ACP !!! Based on your criteria,
definitely the P228. Why? Loaded with the
right ammo (federal hydra-shok, black talon,
cor bon, or golden sabre's) in high capacity
magazine's; that's all anyone would need in
self defense situations. As often said, SHOT
PLACEMENT is what really counts.

------------------
Ala Dan

Mike H., I agree with Dan in AL, my favorite is the P220 in 45ACP. Among your choices, P228 and P229 are identical dimensions except that the 229 weighs 1.5 oz more, the P225 is basically a chopped P220 in 9mm, and very close dimensions to the other two choices. If the decision was mine, the process would be very simple, want a 9mm, go with P228 because P225 is single column 8 cap vs. double column 10-13 in the others(unless you have "smallish" hands, but P225 is only 0.2" thinner), and P228 is less expensive than P229. If you want the bigger bang w/ .40S&W or .357Sig, you only have one choice, the P229. If you want .357Sig, they seem to be scarce lately as all I've seen of P229's are in 9mm and .40S&W, but you can get a barrel in .357Sig for $120.

Mike,

I've shot both the 228 and 229, and I love both. But I am partial to the 228. The 228 is extremely accurate, and I've never had any problems with it, once I found the right ammo to shoot in it. One thing, though, those double stack mags are a pain in the butt to get 10 rounds in, when the gun's new. (this has been discussed in earlier threads).

The 228 was my first handgun, and is still my favorite. As Ala Dan said, loaded w/ the right ammo (I load Triton Quikshoks in mine) it's got plenty enough stopping power.

The 229 is also a great gun, I shot it in .40 and it is also extremely reliable. Between .40 and .357SIG, I'd stick with .40, as it's a more "proven" round, and ammo is cheaper and easier to find.

Tough choice, good luck with your decision!

Well, for starters, all things are NOT equal. The P225 is smaller and thus more concealable than the 228 or 229: that single-stack mag makes a difference!

My preference is for the P229. The 228 and 229 have the same size frame and slide, so they're equal in concealment. With pre-ban hicaps, the 228 will only have one shot more than the 229, and it's .40 caliber. With post ban mags the point is moot. While it's true that shot placement is what matters... a well placed .40 bullet is more effective than a well placed 9mm bullet, and you also have to consider that with 9mm's higher velocity it has a tendency to overpenetrate.

I'm going to step outside the 3 you've listed, and instead recommend the P245 (.45 ACP). It's basically a chopped 220, just like the 225, but in .45 caliber.

------------------
"Is fhe'arr teicheadh math na droch fhuireach"
-Sarabian Oomodo

If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

A firearm isn't a weapon until it is used as such.

I'll ring in for the 228. For me, it's a tad lighter and balances/points better than the 229, and I have a few preban mags. I find I shoot 9mm better, and like Darthma'am, it was my first love. I must admit that I like the versatility of the .40/.357 capability of the 229 in theory, but I made a decision to keep my armory down to ubiquitous cartridges, i.e. .45, 9mm, and .38/.357. for the time being.

The good news is that none are bad choices, pick one a go practice! Best regards, M2

My vote goes for the Sig 229. In my opinion, the one piece stainless slide is worth the penalty in weight for the benefits of durability (both rust resistance and toughness). Also, due to the heavier slide, the 229 in 9mm seems to me to be more tame than the 228. But go with the one that feels more comfortable in your hand. All three will feel slightly different...

Owning both the P228 and P229 I can tell you the P228 will conceal better. I should say it will feel better. The slide on the P229 is wider at the muzzle than the P228. As for caliber, the 9mm is less expensive, and cheaper to reload. This will allow for more ammo to practice with. As to the P225, if it feels better in your hands than the others, buy it and practice with it. Get the SIG Sauer pistol that YOU like. If anyone other than you doesn't like your choice, then they don't have to shoot your gun! :) ;)
On the other hand, you could just buy all three and be done with it! ;)(No I can't loan you the money.)

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

The P225 is quickly becoming one of my favorite pistols, but I would not recommend it to everyone. The DA pull on the ones I have tried is way too heavy and that would put most people off. The grips on the P228 and P229 are the same and fit my hand very well. I have a .40 cal P229 and have had the action smoothed and the short trigger added. Sometimes I run Hogue grips, feel great, but for carry I have a set of the Crinson Trace Lasergrips. It is outfitted with the PT nightsights and a Haarts recoil reducer. It is a sweet pistol, one of the best, and I highly recommend it. Really it is hard to go wrong with any SIG.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies so far, they have given me equal measures of insight and amusement. No matter how I phrase the question (i.e. you MUST choose one of these three) I always get the P220A as the one to go for, I know it's the best, it's just a little big for what I'm after hence the smaller options so don't worry Ala Dan (and you other P220/P245 fans)I always remember and respect your advice. One omission I did make from my orginal question that I wish I had included was a direct comparison of virtues/vices between the P228 and P229 BOTH in 9mm, I always tend to assume the P229 is a .40 when of course it is also a 9mm. I've heard the P229 in .40 tends to "heel" with the power of that round and I favor a good 9mm load because they still exhibit good power but IMHO are much more shooter friendly (read - target unfriendly). This probably sounds stupid to you more experienced shooters, but I can shoot a 9mm without blinking, however I flinch with a .40 and my groups open up no matter how hard I try. As for a .45 ACP, I tend to prefer firing those with a lanyard and an artillery spotter :-)

Thanks again, and keep 'em coming

Regards,

-------------------------------------------
Mike H
Who Watches The Watchers ?

P245...

:)

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Less weight penalty if you're strictly going for the 9. PLUS, it'll take pre-ban 226 mags. Carry with the stock 10/pre-ban 13 rounders and use pre-ban 15 or 20 round 226 factory mags for reloads.

- Ron V.

------------------

Mike,

One more thing I might add: the 228 will also take hi-cap 229 mags (13 round) but they are about $90! I almost bought a pre-ban 15 round 226 mag for my 228, but didn't like the way it stuck so far out of the grip.

Also, as someone else mentioned, the 229 in .40 heels a bit too much for me, and my groups tend to open up as well. I recently shot my new SA V10 in .45ACP, and am practicing on getting used to the recoil and in getting my groupings closer together. Also shot the P245, and it really kicks. (my V10 is ported so that helps...)

Go for the 228!

P229.

I was issued a P228 in my last agency and it was a great duty gun. If fact, I liked it so much that I bought my own P229/40. The 40 just felt sturdier in the hand and it shot amazing 1.5 inch/25 yard groups from a weaver grip that the 228 couldn't keep up with. The 229 fit in all the same leather that I used for the 228 and the one ounce extra weight in the 229 was not the slightest bit noticable. I found myself going home, swapping out my 228 and 9-mm mag for my 229 and a .40 mag and carrying the same leather gear "off-duty" (if there is such a thing :))

As for the 225, it just doesn't seem that much more concealable for the firepower you lose in a single stack mag. IMO.

I've only shot one P229 but I've fired several other agents' P228's and my 229 had a smoother action and was more accurate than any of the 228s.

If the 40 ammo bothers you, use the subsonic 165 by American Eagle and Federal. IMHO, the 147-grain Fed Hydra Shok in a 228 kicks MORE than a 165-grain HS in a 229/40, but you get a bigger, heavier bullet at 50 fps higher velocity.

Just remeber, if it's SIG, it's a good gun. Besides, when it comes to guns, get what you WANT, not what you think you SHOULD get. There's something to be said for practical accuracy increasing because the operator admires the weapon system! :)

sml26_acbbl.jpg

ha ha ha......

------------------
I got a short temper so watch it!

Hi Mike:

If you want the opinion of someone who has asked myself the same question on more than one occasion, and answered it for myself, here it goes:

The best way to determine which handgun is best for you is to go to a gun shop, show, or aqaintance who owns one, or all of those models. The quickest and easiest way to determine the best is to have each available at the same time for a side by side comparison. An acquaintance/friend might even let you shoot his the next time he goes out to the back yard or range, if you ask.

First: Safety. Check to see if loaded.
2. Grasp in a good natural grip.
3. Treat as if loaded and point in a safe direction, knowing what is beyond backstop, etc.
4. Note how it feels. Try drawing and point your finger along the frame. Pull trigger double action/single, as often as necessary. This w/NOT damage the firearm, although some shop owners do not like dry firing anything, so ask first of course.
5. Compare how each feels and points.
6. Do the sights line up w/out adjustment as soon as you point your finger at a safe object in a safe direction?

Mike,

I've held and shot all of the SIGs. Never shot the 210 though. With the exception of most of them needing some trigger work out of box, to gain their highest potential, they are excellent handguns. THE BEST in my opinion, for defensive carry. I could have anyone of them, but like the 225 best.

Why? A: Because it fits my hand best of all.
Because it points far better than the others in MY hand. In all due respect to the others on this thread, the points concerning ammo capacity, caliber, etc. are important, but are secondary to hand fit and pointability. Besides, to me, that square trigger guard and the lines of the 225 look better to me than all the rest. This is subjective. Your preferences maybe different from mine. So be it.

But find out what fits your hand like an extension of your body, looks good to you and points where you point your finger and that is THE BEST ONE FOR YOU MIKE.
WHY?

1. They are all extremely RELIABLE w/ the exception of a few misfits and limpwristing the 230 (not one of your choices). Most important!

2. What fits you, is what you will shoot best; more accurately under stress given the same amount of practice.

3. What fits you best, is what will become a friend to you. Its hard to make friends and practice as much with something that does not feel quite right in your paw.

4. What Looks the best may not be all that important, except for the fact that again you will more likely be attracted to it (kinda like your woman but different :) ), and look forward to making it your constant companion to the range and on the street. If you don't like it that much and just chose one because of slightly, very slightly, bigger bullets, capacity, etc, then you just won't shoot it as much. Less training = less proficiency. FACT: No amount of firepower, caliber OR capacity can make up for lack of proper training.

Just one point on capacity. I hardly notice Two single stack 8round mags (225) (8+8+9=25 rounds), in my waistband. One 10 round double column mag (10+11=21 or add one more you got 31) is very uncomfortable under my belt; especially when sitting. If ever faced w/ a need to exercise lethal force, I sure hope I can get to cover before I run dry , pause in the danger zone, and have to reload. Maybe if I can hit my target, it will stop trying to kill me. If not, there is a good case for carrying full auto OR training more ;) IMHO. If you have more firepower, then more power to you. Hope you have what you like best.

The 9mm with the proper choice of high velocity ammo 9+P preferably has a proven track record when the target is hit accurately. Cheaper ammo too, which is a good incentive for someone to spend more time at the range if they go w/ factory ammo. Albeit, ammo controversy as much as I think caliber is somewhat important, is not all THAT important when choosing a SIG if you go w/ at least 9mm in good load choice for defense IMHO.
One of the finest handgun writers started w/modified 1911's. Then eventually ended up choosing the SIG P228 for carry. Then went to a Glock 19 if memory serves me. Eventually settled on the SIG 225. Wish I could find the article in HANDGUNS magazine a couple of years ago. He agreed with my conclusions too. But what works for him and me might not work for you. Best wishes as you go to the gun shows and shops. I trust that YOU will choose the best one for you.

This is my VERY FIRST TIME on this forum. The Firing Line looks like a very good place for an education on our favorite tool.

------------------

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited September 14, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back