You ever "lose" a mold?

Beagle333

Well, I have. I lost this one:

2-7a-15%20002_zpsbyon6r9y.jpg

and it's driving me mad trying to find it.
veryconfused.gif
I have been through piles of molds, and cardboards boxes of molds, and ziptied bags of oiled molds, and Tupperware bins of molds and desiccant bags and I haven't unearthed it yet. I wanted to make some 8mm bullets now that I have one of the Mausers shooting cast pretty well, and I wanted to use this bullet for it.... but it is hiding.... and very well too, for a 4 cavity NOE mold. It may well even be with these bullets, because I can't find them either, except in pictures. :rolleyes:

I lost an NOE 316314 2-C FP/GC mold a while back (.315" 122 gr FP for .32 revolvers). It was in its original box, because I was casting with the HP/GC version after I had used it last.

Couldn't find it, for the life of me, for at least three years. I went through every bin, box, jar, tub, tote, tube, and pile of anything that might be even somewhat related. I just kept coming up empty.

Then, one day, it turned up in a box of carburetor parts. :confused:

Apparently, I had set it on the shelf in the garage at some point, and it somehow managed to migrate into the neighboring box of miscellaneous carb rebuild parts (possibly at a very crowded and disorganized time during a rather laborious engine rebuild that caused all casting operations to cease for a few months, and saw many guests digging through my garage for tools that I pointed them towards).

Edit: Thinking back, the 'carb parts' box was exactly the same type of box as the 'bullet molds and handles' box, and they were right next to each other during the engine rebuild. Neither was labeled. I probably did it myself.

When I moved, the box got taped up and wasn't touched for about two years.

Then, when I actually needed carburetor parts last year, I rediscovered the mold.
"So that's where you were hiding. Carb parts. Makes sense..." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Beagle333, I have my molds and handles in two drawers; they are shallow, wide and deep. I lost a RCBS priming system, I knew it was in a green die box; it wasn’t, it was in a green plastic mold box in a drawer with the molds.

I did not need the tools in the box but without the tools I could not use my RCBS bench mounted priming systems.

F. Guffey

Welllllll, I'm in good company then. Still looking for my Lee six cav 358158 R-F mold blocks. Only place I haven't looked is not within reach, I may have borrowed it to a buddy. We swap molds and other reloading stuff often.

I want to cast and powder coat some of those for my model 10 S&W I finally got back from being re-barreled. Should be a good shooter.

Nope never have.
Since I don't cast all that much. When I do. My casting tools get cleaned and put away soon after I'm done using them. Something I was taught to do by my father. Reinforced to do by my Trade School Automotive instructor. At GM dealerships management stressed to do.

Nope, I know exactly where all my molds are. BUT! I have been looking for the handles for one set for years. Have no idea what happened to them. :mad:

Does a mold (I referr myself to Lee aluminum molds) ever break, get cracked or get destroyed or damaged from normal use?

Do Lee molds over time after thousands of castings "break down"?

Is that AWOL kind of an penalty in the military?
Or is that kind of an metaphysical stuff: my body is physically in Irak as a soldier but my spirit is absent at home and ca not leave?

Or is that kind of an metaphysical stuff: my body is physically in Irak as a soldier but my spirit is absent at home and ca not leave?

There are penalties for being AWOL. But it is a real thing. Sort of like desertion but a step below that. But if you are AWOL long enough then you can be considered a deserter.

Guess you're the first I've met who didn't know the term. If you've not served maybe you could google the term. It simply means what it says: absent without leave. No head games here.

Hey there LAH

How are you and yours? Hope all is going well.

I managed to finally pick up a nice 6C HG 410258 a month or so back. I hope to try it out soon. When I do I'll be sure to post them up.

How are you and yours? Hope all is going well.

I managed to finally pick up a nice 6C HG 410258 a month or so back. I hope to try it out soon. When I do I'll be sure to post them up.

Barbara & I are fine. Seems I don't get here much these days but always enjoy you lead heads when I do. Fall is on us though the weather is still a little warm. Looking forward to putting a bunch of squirrels in the freezer & maybe a couple deer.

This is also fishing season at my little camp so the striped bass will be hanging out it the head of the lake there till April so things are looking up & the heat I hate is leaving for more enjoyable 40 degree weather.

God to hear from you Mike. Maybe one day we can have a cup of coffee as I'd like to see some of Texas. A friends sister has a place down there with a hog problem so I'm looking to come before long.

I understood Deserters are shot if they are caught.
I hope just the guy didn't be AWOL in the middle of a gunfight in Afghanistan against the Taliban.
Most certainly that AWOL would be Desertion and I do not know how the US Military handles that.
Desertion I know only from movies.

Back