"You can't shoot your Makarov"

Tropical Z

Last week i went to a range i hadn't been to in quite some time.Before going to my lane,the owner said he needed to see the ammo i was going to use.Upon seeing my Russian made Makarov ammo(not wolf-a pale green box), he said i could not use it because it had a steel core and would penetrate his backstop.He had a magnet that did stick to the bullet but i did make sure he was aware it was steel cased.No dice he said and it was forbidden.My question is this,i've seen some 7.62x39 ammo that comes in both a magnetic and non-magnetic bullet.Was this my problem,or did i really have steel core ammo?

I would most definetly lay a wager you have steel jacketed ammo. It has a lead core with a steel jacket instead of a copper jacket, that is why the magnet stuck to the bullet.

Mild steel which would not penetrate the backstop (290m/s, too slow) but it would case more sparks on impact. Some ranges dislike that.

Like Oleg said, it's some sort of soft ferrous metal that's been copper washed. It certainly won't penetrate any better than .44 mag.

Tell him that certain stainless steel alloys aren't magnetic and if he'd prefer that instead.

It's a silly test for silly people.

What the heck......

is his back stop made of? It can't be made steel if he thinks an 9*18 m/m round, of any construction, will cause damage to it. Next time take a CZ52 in 7.62*25, use copper jacketed bullets and dent the hell out of his back stop. LOL :p

That's one of the reasons I purchased wolf ammo for practice. It's bullet is copper and not bi-metal. The case is bi-metal but the bullet is copper. Much less punishing on the barrel. The best ammo I found was Fiocchi this is real good quality ammo and super reliable. I use the wolf for pratice and carry a mix of Fiocchi hardball and Cor-bon. I worry about penetration so I carry some hardball.

Ulterior motive

Don't forget that the indoor ranges make much more profit if you buy your ammo from them as well. That might have more to do with the "steel-cored" ammo objection than anything else. Did the range operator then offer to sell you some "good" ammo?

"Steel Cored" pistol ammo is by definition armour piercing, so it would not be able to be imported. Soft steel jackets are ok, though, within the guidelines of the ATF. I think your range guy was either poorly informed or had profit motivations.

"Steel Cored" pistol ammo is by definition armour piercing, so it would not be able to be imported.

Actually, by definition, "steel cored" pistol ammo simply uses projectiles with steel cores. I could imbed a steel BB into a .38 Special HBWC without significantly enhancing its feeble ability to pierce armor. :)

It's only federal law that defines "steel cored" as "armor piercing".

Thanx everyone,i'll bring in some wolf and try again,and buy the way he didn't try to sell me any of his ammo.I guess he's just misinformed.

He was misinformed?

His freakin JOB is to be INFORMED! If he isn't informed - he isnt a Range Master, Owner, or Operator... He is just a Landlord.

I'ld find a new range. I dont have time for idiots.

I, too, was told I couldn't shoot the Steel Jacketed Makarov ammo at an indoor range. The reason's were clear to me. 1) the manufacturer of the backstop did not rate the backstop for anything other than jacketed lead-core or lead solid bullets... period. It was also QUITE obvious when I shot. I even brought the range master out into the range (he didn't notice till I pointed it out) because I was getting a weird 'muzzle flash.' Turns out that he had to look it up. The backstop was under warranty.

George: First time I have to disagree with you. The range has rules for whatever reason and you generally have to sign a statement saying you understand the rules. It's a minor point. Whatever the rules are, follow them. The rule at the range I was shooting at was that you had to clean up your own brass when you were finished! Darn!

Back