'Yote bustin' e-calls, recommend one?

agtman

A close friend is crazy to cull the coyote population that's been expanding unchecked in his area of God's country. He's designated me as his spotter and "back-up" sniper. We're in need of an electronic caller and have looked at a few locally but, ... no decisional joy thus far.

So, for the veteran 'yote hunters on this board, can you recommend an e-call that is: (1) reliable (i.e., won't breakdown on the second set-up); (2) comes with a set of clear-sounding, proven calls for attracting 'yotes; (3) has a remote that can be used at sufficient distance (50-yds+) from a ground blind or a tree stand; and (4) is reasonably priced. If it comes with a motion decoy which is also remote-triggered, that would be a big plus.

Thanks! :cool:

Last edited:
I own three different e-calls, Johnny Stewart cassette, FoxPro and Primos Turbo Dawg.

Out of the three I've had better luck with the Johnny Stewart but I've also had it the longest amount of time.

Around here everybody and their brother has an e-call so it's tough to get coyotes to respond to them, therefore I rely more on mouth blown calls.

I can blow different sequences then the e-calls and sometimes that's all it takes to fool the old coyotes that's heard the same old tunes from an e-caller many times.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Thanks for all the responses so far.

We've been reading a lot of positive comments around the 'Net on the FoxPro line of e-calls, especially about their customer service for warranty issues.

Make sure they're legal first. They're not everywhere.* * *

Yes, e-calls are perfectly legal to use in our state, and 'yotes are takable 24/7/365 with no "bag limit," as are a few other species of predator/varmint.

How far will you be "footing" it? weight makes a difference, especially in winter hunts. As does the amount of equipment to set up and take down each time you move stands. Its good to have a spotter at times. That is the main reason that I bailed on E-callers, is the fooling around with extra gear. I have had E-callers work, get a good reed call to go along with it. Coyote imitations worked best for me as well, the "stranger" will elicit an investigation. A chirp at the right moment can cause them to pause for a good shot, even if they are coming in after a prey sound.

Havnt tried the new primos I got for christmas but I truly believe the fox pro to be the best. The use of a good diaphragm or Reed call to mix in with it has been the best bet. A Lil tip is never turn the volume all the way up. I don't know if they hear something or its just so loud that it spooks em but they don't seem to come all the way in.

Son had an older FoxPro that worked OK but didn't have the volume we thought we needed nor did the remote work as well as hoped. He swapped it and got a new model with more volume, more calls, and better remote.
I got a heck of a buy on a Primos. It's sounds seem to be close to the FoxPro but then I'm not a coyote. The Primos hasn't been hunting yet.
Calls work better in areas where the yoties have to work hard for supper.

How far will you be "footing" it? weight makes a difference, especially in winter hunts. As does the amount of equipment to set up and take down each time you move stands. Its good to have a spotter at times. That is the main reason that I bailed on E-callers, is the fooling around with extra gear.

In a nutshell, we'll be hunting his family's farm and the large acreage around it, which includes woodlands, meadows, and open fields. Won't be hiking in to set-up more than a quarter mile, tops.

I've looked at some of the FoxPro units and and a Primos (at Cabelas and BassPro), and size-wise they don't seem like they'd be too much of a pain to tote around, especially if you had the right "gear bag" to carry them in.

Last edited:
We tote our e-calls in soft side camo coolers. It makes carrying easier(shoulder strap), protects the calls from impact or weather damage, and keeps them working in cold weather(heat pack in cooler). It also reduces the chance of losing parts while moving.

We tote our e-calls in soft side camo coolers. It makes carrying easier(shoulder strap), protects the calls from impact or weather damage, and keeps them working in cold weather(heat pack in cooler). It also reduces the chance of losing parts while moving.

I tried something very similar, bag with should strap, then I went to a back pack, it was more comfortable for carrying on longer hikes.

Now I'm back to mouth blown calls, they are a lot lighter and I seem to get more coyotes with them.

I'm considering listing forsale my e-calls on one of the local swap shops.

If there's any collectors out there I even have an old Johnny Stewart record playing e-call.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

I've went through several E callers. Had a Johnny Stewart MS12 for years.

Went to Fox pro, great callers and top notch service.

Took quite a few with E calls, but more with hand calls.

With e calls, As was said, everyone has one.

I use all hand blown and double reed mouth calls (turkey call).

I will say for grey fox, you can't beat Johnny Stewart Grey Fox Pup.

Fox pro has done their best to create a sound like it without copy right infringement. Lol

Back