Yet another very serious attack on the Second Amendment,

drop

I expect the murder rate in Chicago will drop immediately;). No doubt all the criminals will comply with this new law.

I thought full-auto handguns were already illegal everywhere in the U.S.

Not exactly.

Full auto or select fire handguns are legally machine guns, under federal law, and have been since the NFA 34 was enacted.

Under federal law, if it fires full auto, its a machine gun and every machine gun law rule applies. Doesn't matter what else the gun is, the full auto capability takes precedence so, tripod mounted belt fed, M16 rifle or select fire pistol, are all the same when it comes to legal possession.

The "switches" the Illinois Governor is referring to are a unique device allowing a Glock pistol to become full auto with the flip of a switch. This is done by removing one of the factory pistol parts and installing the switch in its place.

THEY ARE NOT LEGAL, anywhere in the US. Never have been and never will be (short of a total revamping of our gun control laws).

My understanding is, they first showed up in crime guns a few years ago. They are said to be made in China, and sold via internet, possibly smuggled into the US.

I do not know if the ATF has yet made a formal ruling on them if the switch alone could be classed as a machine gun, like they did with post 1986 AR auto sears, but I would expect them to be, when the ATF gets around to it.

Without a ruling specific to the device, they are already illegal to put in a gun, because that would create an illegal unregistered machine gun, and forget about getting ATF approval to do it, since May 86 the ATF no longer allows registration of new machine guns in the civilian registry.

SO, the Illinois Governor is taking credit for passing a law that (among ithe things) makes something already illegal under Federal law illegal in his state.

Big whoop! :rolleyes:

44 AMP said:
The "switches" the Illinois Governor is referring to are a unique device allowing a Glock pistol to become full auto with the flip of a switch. This is done by removing one of the factory pistol parts and installing the switch in its place.

THEY ARE NOT LEGAL, anywhere in the US. Never have been and never will be (short of a total revamping of our gun control laws).

My understanding is, they first showed up in crime guns a few years ago. They are said to be made in China, and sold via internet, possibly smuggled into the US.
That was my point.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, glocks converted by "the switch" are not legal.

There are a few select fire pistols in the civilian legal machine gun registry. But not a lot. Guns like the Mauser Schnellfeur Pistole (select fire Broomhandle) and I think some VP-70s (Shoulder stock attachment has the selector switch and while it is an SBR with the stock on, the selector makes it a machine gun).

These and probably some others are in the registry and were there before the cut off date of 10 May 1986, and so can be owned like any other machine gun in the registry with the same Federal rules applying.

There are some GLock 18s legally in the country, they are "dealer samples" to be used as demonstrators by machine gun dealers for their customer agencies (police depts, armed govt agencies, etc.)

They are not legal for personal ownership because they were not in the civilian registry prior to May 86.

My point was that there are some legal to own full auto handguns in the US. Not many, but they do exist.

None of the converted Glocks is legal, anywhere, but there are a few other guns which are, and were in the system before 86. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

I see in another "news byte" that the new IL law bans the sale of "several common semi autos", and I cannot see how this is not a direct contravention of the SCOTUS Heller ruling.

Seems (from what is being reported, take that for what its worth :rolleyes:) that the IL govt is effectively saying "if you don't like our new law, well, see you in court..."

One of the IL pro firearms groups has reportedly replied with "challenge accepted!"

This seem to be the common tactic these days, pass laws you KNOW aren't legal, enforce them as long as you can until they get struck down, and then when crime doesn't go down, claim "we tried!"

IF the law stands, and crime doesn't go down, they claim "we need to do more". Either way, the politicians do their best NOT to be held responsible when they don't fix the problem.

And it seems they mostly get away with it.....:mad:

Here's the text of the law. It goes further than most other such bans.

Here's what's banned:

• machine guns
  • Any rifle with a barrel under 16", any shotgun with a barrel under 18"
  • AR pistols
  • .50 cal rifles
  • .50 cal ammunition
  • "Assault pistols"
  • Any centerfire rifle that is fed from detachable magazine and has any one of the following:
    • Folding/telescoping stock
    • Any grip or stock (or characteristic can act as such) where your hand ends up, at any time, beneath the action
    • A forward pistol grip
    • A flash suppressor
    • A grenade launcher
  • Any semiautomatic centerfire rifle <30" in overall length
  • Any semiautomatic pistol which is fed from a detachable magazine and has any one of the following:
    • Folding/telescoping stock
    • Any grip or stock (or characteristic can act as such) where your hand ends up, at any time, beneath the action
    • A forward pistol grip
    • A flash suppressor
    • A grenade launcher
  • Any semiauto shotgun that has a folding/telescoping stock
  • Any semiautomatic shotgun that can accept a detachable magazine
  • Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder
  • Any semiautomatic pistol that can accept a fixed magazine of over >10 rounds

Now, some of that stuff is covered by the NFA, but the new law bans it altogether. There's no exception for already-registered items.

The rest is pretty much the whole post-2013 grab bag of proposals, all in one place. If there are any doubts as to the endgame, the state Speaker of the House called this bill "watered down."

Essentially, the law simply creates a new batch of criminals who were never criminals before.

Existing criminals are unaffected.

--Wag--

The problem with those damn switches is nobody reacted to them. It is my understanding that some airsoft guns in China basically operate like a Glock with same dimensions. Then some company made airsoft auto sears that work perfectly with a real Glock.

They shipped those here labeled airsoft and sold them on Amazon. Some guy sold thousands of these thing. Mostly to gangbangers. Sure they arrested him, but has the ATF pursued the Amazon purchase history and charged each of those people? This is simply another example where the government clearly wants gangs to be able to operate with illegal guns ….I’m guessing as feeder material for gun control. Did Bezos pay a fine or due jail time for operating an illegal NFA market? Why? Why? Why? I can’t sell NFA items illegally out of my house….even if I don’t know I’m doing it. They will send federal agents to arrest me at any cost, even if they have to burn my house down and kill my wife in the process.

Tom Servo said:
Here's what's banned:
machine guns
Any rifle with a barrel under 16", any shotgun with a barrel under 18"
AR pistols
.50 cal rifles
.50 cal ammunition
"Assault pistols"
Any centerfire rifle that is fed from detachable magazine and has any one of the following:
Folding/telescoping stock
Any grip or stock (or characteristic can act as such) where your hand ends up, at any time, beneath the action
A forward pistol grip
A flash suppressor
A grenade launcher
Any semiautomatic centerfire rifle <30" in overall length
Any semiautomatic pistol which is fed from a detachable magazine and has any one of the following:
Folding/telescoping stock
Any grip or stock (or characteristic can act as such) where your hand ends up, at any time, beneath the action
A forward pistol grip
A flash suppressor
A grenade launcher
Any semiauto shotgun that has a folding/telescoping stock
Any semiautomatic shotgun that can accept a detachable magazine
Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder
Any semiautomatic pistol that can accept a fixed magazine of over >10 rounds

Sounds like Illinois and Colorado have been talking to each other. Democrats are proposing the "Mass Shooting Prevention Act of 2023", which has pretty much the same language. There is a PDF linked at the bottom of the article with the propsed bill.

44 AMP: .....The "switches" the Illinois Governor is referring to are a unique device allowing a Glock pistol to become full auto with the flip of a switch. This is done by removing one of the factory pistol parts and installing the switch in its place.

44 AMP Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, glocks converted by "the switch" are not legal.....None of the converted Glocks is legal, anywhere, but there are a few other guns which are, and were in the system before 86. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Sorry, none of that is correct.

A "Glock switch" most certainly IS LEGAL if registered with ATF.....and hundreds if not thousands are. Here's one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/959916371

Any 07FFL/SOT can make as many as he wants and they are transferable to LE and MIL as well as transferable on a law letter to another SOT. Further, no law letter is required when an 07FFL/SOT goes out of business and disposes of inventory to another 07FFL/SOT.

The Hughes Amendment did not prohibit the manufacture of machine guns after 1986 or restrict the transfer to LE/Mil.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/963827698

There are DOZENS of LEGAL Glock switches, AR drop in auto sears, post 1986 machine guns for sale on GunBroker and other websites every day.

While its true that a Glock switch is not "fully transferrable", its wholly incorrect to make a blanket statement that they are illegal and always will be.
There are dozens of gun ranges in the US where you can legally burn up ammo shooting a Glock equipped with a switch.

Really wondering what the definition of "accept" was for this bill.

Any semiautomatic pistol that can accept a fixed magazine of over >10 rounds
If it is a fixed magazine wouldn't it have to be built that way?? So what is to "accept"?

apologies for making an incorrect blanket statement. I do try not to, but obviously some times, I'm wrong. IN this case, I was thinking only in terms of legal ownership by regular folks who are not SOT people who deal in FA arms and parts.

I goofed. :(

Not being Military/LE or an 07FFL/SOT I frequently forget to mention that they get to play under different rules than the rest of us. Apologies for the omission.

Quite a few things above that are incorrect or misleading regarding the gun ban, better to download the PDF from State of IL.

One is that new so called and defined assault weapons are banned. Currently owned ones must essentially be registered with the state for a fee in order to be kept (for now anyhow). Higher capacity magazines are banned but old ones may be kept on private property. Magazine limits are 15 rounds for pistol, 10 rounds for rifle, and 5 rounds for semiauto shotguns.

Yes it's awful - of 102 counties in Illinois - 95 county sheriffs have said they won't enforce it. There are at least 3 lawsuits about to be filed. Between that law and the new ATF regulation on pistol braces - it is interesting times - especially in Illinois.

So, the correct answer is these "switches", are NOT legal for any regular Joe in the US who is not an SOT, LEO, etc.?
Only "machine pistol" I was ever interested in was a select fire CZ-75, which I think there are a few, but I would have to win the lottery to buy one! :)

Back