yet another option

oldscot3

A couple of days ago I started a thread about Mossberg pumps and ended up on Rem 870 barrels. Now I've wandered down another bunny trail so I thought I'd better start a separate thread.

I mentioned the only shotguns I ever used were my dad's old guns. Well one of them is a Ithaca m37. I just discovered they are back in business and are making "home defense" barrels, 20"and 18 1/2".

They are pricier than 870 barrels, but maybe they're worth it since that gun is mine to start with. Anybody have experience with the new Ithaca gun company?

Ithaca is very easy to work with, they will do what you want.

Your problem maybe when the gun was made. If the serial number is after 855000 then the new barrels will fit.

If it is before 855000 serial number then you will have to find a barrel that has a serial number before 855000 and have Diamond gun smithing fit the barrel to your action.

The older barrels had a regular screw type pattern, the new barrels are straight threads and the two do not interchange.

It is not worth having Ithaca fit a new barrel to a older action due to the high cost.

Or just using the one you already have; do NOT get hung up on barrel length for HD guns - too many folks do.

You can get a new pump gun for less than $200 on sale and it will come with a short barrel.

Please do not cut up a classic gun, keep it just as it is.

You will spend that much for a extra barrel and having it fitted.

Not to worry, my Ithaca was my dad's shot gun. I would never do anything that wasn't easily reversible. Until the last day or fwo, I didn't know much about the details of its design; this post was just to learn. Mission accomplished.

I'm not hung up on a short barrel, but usually short, handy weapons have them; length has to be removed from one end or the other and I don't want a 12 guage I can't shoulder properly.

I'll probably just buy a $139.00 18" barrel from Midway for the Rem 870, since they easily pop in out of the receiver. Thanks again for the help.

When I was shotgun shopping I was looking at a combo moss 500 package. Believe it was 28 and 20 inch barrels for $500.

Wound up buying a win and a rem for $550. Win is a 28 with threaded chokes, rem is a wide open 18.5.

Shtf I don't gotta stop to swap barrels for the situation. And if I got one slung over my shoulder, I got up to 16 rounds ready for use in far less time than you can reload.

What I'm saying here is this, why spend $140 on a barrel when you can buy a complete gun for around $200 that's got the barrel you want?

Back