Yet Another New Project: Pistol

ligonierbill

I've never tried a flintlock pistol, so after a bit of handwringing, called Barbie Chambers and ordered one of their English Pistol kits. With a small outfit like that, you need to be prepared for a bit of a wait, but it appears not in this case. I did ante up extra for the only wood they had in stock, described as a beautiful piece of maple. Based on the "plain" maple I've received from Chambers, I expect this to be fantastic. Which scares me. I do not want to mess this up. But I'm game. Caliber 62 rifled 9" barrel, brass furniture.

Here is their PA Fowler in standard (no extra cost) wood. I can't wait to see what they send me for this pistol.

Attachments

• Chambers Fowler.jpg
    Chambers Fowler.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 88
I received the Chambers English pistol kit in record time, as they had everything in stock. Unfinished, you have to kind of turn the stock in the light to pick up the grain, and my poor photographic skills won't show it. But it looks to be a beauty.

Wow, 5 months. But I haven't been idle, just slow. I have the lock mounted, tang shaped and attached to the trigger plate, ready to start serious sanding. But the hardest part, for me, is done. Drilling on centers is not rocket science, but it always makes me nervous. This is the 6th time I've put the drill press to expensive parts, and it went fine.

I'll start posting some photos as things shape up.

Had to post a picture to show off the Chambers wood. The photo doesn't do it justice, more burl than tiger stripe. Lots of polishing remaining (barrel and lock will be polished and left "in the white". Then final assembly. Left the final pins to last. Hope I chose wisely, but I only want to insert them once.

Attachments

• Pistol2.jpg
    Pistol2.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 53
Yes, and my job is to do it justice. I installed the Chambers "White Lightning" touchhole liner today. Straightforward, but I'm always nervous bringing that drill press down on an expensive barrel. Polished and installed the end cap on the stock. Polished the barrel. Next challenge is to solder the front barrel lug and sight. Should be fine, and reversible if I screw up. Polish and pin the ramrod pipes. Polish the trigger guard. Then pin the barrel, and I'm done.

Done

Ready to repel boarders. As always, don't look too close. She's not perfect. Next week to the range.

Attachments

• PistolComplete1.jpg
    PistolComplete1.jpg
    772.6 KB · Views: 56
  • PistolComplete2.jpg
    PistolComplete2.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 48
Back