yet another Mosin thread, but somehow different.

tahunua001

Hello all,
well I finally got enough cosmoline out of my new M39 that it looks like a rifle again. still quite a bit there that both a hot water bath and mineral spirits scrub couldn't remove but it should at least be serviceable again now. next summer on a hot day the stock will be going into a trash bag and put in the back seat of the dodge oven and afterwards a few sheeny coats of linseed oil should really make the stock shine.

I had been toying with the idea of wanting a hex receiver mosin nagant for a while and the chance to get a M39 was even better. it's finn matched numbers(bolt force matched to the receiver with unmarked butt plate and non matched floor plate), and a VKT barrel dated 1942, I don't rightly know what the D denotes on the barrel though. the stock appears to be a transitional(not quite wartime production but not quite postwar) style stock. when the listing had a $15 option to keep the original sling I was assuming it would be the cheaper wartime expedient web sling and was happily surprised to receive the less common civil defense force leather sling.

of course, pictures are obligatory.
20160916_212931_zpsktcyet6q.jpg

20160916_212850_zpshemrbbwg.jpg

20160916_212817_zpsylkuh5fr.jpg

20160916_212741_zpsdzjuakry.jpg

20160916_212651_zpsfwtwfbxs.jpg

Nice looking gun you have there. Have you shot it yet? I like mine, but shooting it on a calm day is not rapid fire at all. I have to wait for the smoke to dissipate before I can see how I did on the target. When it fires, you definitely know it, it kicks almost as hard as my 303 British Jungle Carbine.

Shoot Safe and Often.

Are there really Finnish produced guns? I had a hex receiver gun with the Czar mark on it. I always thought that the Fins just reworked all the Russian guns that were "Donated" to them.

Nice looking M39. The "D" on the barrel denotes that the gun is chambered for the heavy Russian "D" round, which was the standard round of WWII. I think it was 182g. Not all M39s will have this mark, but many do.

There have been a number of rumors, some saying "D" marked barrels were unsafe, others saying that only "D" marked barrels were safe to shoot, but you can pretty much ignore all that and shoot pretty much any 7.62x54r ammo.

Last edited:
Are there really Finnish produced guns? I had a hex receiver gun with the Czar mark on it. I always thought that the Fins just reworked all the Russian guns that were "Donated" to them.

We never made receivers. The rest of the gun is made in Finland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Finn's re-throated most of the captured Russian barrels to accept the "D" round. It's not a different chambering, it was no different than using a custom throating reamer today for longer/heavier bullets than originally designed.

the stock appears to be a transitional(not quite wartime production but not quite postwar) style stock.

How so?
Square stock splice, or the "popsicle stick"?

Where did you get yours from Ta?

Classic?

Thinking of ordering one from there myself. I've got some new PPU brass if you want to load for it.

Square stock splice, or the "popsicle stick"?
it's the triangular(neither popsicle or rectangle).

Mosin-Marauder, I did get from classic. I've got a little factory winchester ammo, and probably will end up investing in some PRVI down the road. I'll have to keep my eyes on grafs for a good deal.

you have to hold the gun at about a 60 degree angle with the muzzle pointed up. they're fairly reliable but a little finicky like most stripper clips. sometimes I can do it with almost no effort, sometimes I have trouble.

In 2004 for $90 I got an M39 off a gun show table.

M39DSCF3294.jpg

I drilled and tapped and made a scope base and welded the handle.
It can shoot holes touching groups at 100y

After reading the Mosin site I understand the stampings to the point I know I have a Sako VKT M39 Westinghouse 1915-18

Very Nice M39. They are great rifles. When classic first got them I ordered 2. A Sako and a Late Date "Sneak" built in 1967. Seems Classic still has a bunch of very nice examples.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I tried the sporter route once, thankfully it was with a round receiver 91/30(no shortage of those floating about) when the sporter failed miserably I tried a bullpup, also failed miserably. now I keep them as is, they work better that way:D

Back