Yet another belt thread

Spats McGee

Administrator
After a good 7-year run with my trusty Aker B21, I am considering replacing her. I've looked at pretty much every gunleather company I can think of, and have narrowed my choices down to Hank's Kydex Reinforced Concealed Carry Belt and the Bigfoot Belts 14 oz Leather Gun Belt. Does anyone own both? Or have used both? Got any insight that you would care to share?

Also, I'm open to other suggestions, but I'll throw out a few things that are relevant to my belt selection process:
1. I'm looking for a medium to dark brown. My B21 is more of a tan or light brown, and that's fine for casual wear, but I want medium or dark brown to go with work clothes. As for work clothes, see #2, below.
2. I wear suits & dress clothes 5 days per week. That rules out tactical nylon and black basketweave for me. It also rules out 1.75" belts. Whatever I select has to pass as a dress belt.
3. I'm aware of The Beltman. I'm sure that Beltman belts are fine pieces of leatherwork. However, they don't offer them in the color I want.
4. I'm aware of the Bigfoot steel core belt. I'm sure it's a fine piece of leatherwork, but I don't need any more hassle getting through metal detectors than I already have. If, by any chance, you have one of these belts and have some knowledge as to whether it sets off metal detectors, I'd love to know about it.
5. My EDC is a Glock 19 on one side and an extra mag on the other.

I recently bought an Alien Gear dual-layer 14 oz belt, advertised with a steel core. These are actually made by Bigfoot for Alien Gear, it's the same belt.

I was not impressed. I bought it to replace my Beltman belt as I've gotten too fat for it, and it's a sore replacement indeed. The Alien Gear/Bigfoot feels limp and is easily flexed, it's just not rigid. I'm sure it would work okay for most lighter weight pistols but I was upset enough to request a refund from the company. So no, I cannot recommend them.

Keep in mind this was compared to my Beltman. When I first got my Beltman three years ago, I was amazed at how rigid it was. You could hold it by the end of the buckle out straight and the dang thing would almost stick out straight horizontally. It has held up incredibly well to carry some hefty firearms like my 6" Ruger GP100, a 45 oz gun with two loaded speedloaders on the same side of the belt. I never experienced any sag and it kept the gun tight against the body.

They aren't cheap, but if you want a REAL gun belt, Beltman is beyond quality. PS: I am not saying this just because Beltman posted above either.

I have a Bigfoot. Decent belt....I have several belts with metal stays...they all set off detectors. I have one with a plastic stay, the buckle usually sets of detectors.

If you get a TSA pass it helps. Courthouses...become friends with the bailiffs. ...they are usually sympathetic. ..

Spats, the beltmans belts wear like iron. I have one purchased in 06 and it still looks and feels like new

The two that come to mind with really good reputations are Beltman and A&G Gun Leather. I have not dealt with Beltman yet, but I really enjoyed working with Al at A&G.

...and have narrowed my choices down to Hank's Kydex Reinforced Concealed Carry Belt and the Bigfoot Belts 14 oz Leather Gun Belt. Does anyone own both? Or have used both? Got any insight that you would care to share?

Also, I'm open to other suggestions, but I'll throw out a few things that are relevant to my belt selection process:
1. I'm looking for a medium to dark brown. My B21 is more of a tan or light brown, and that's fine for casual wear, but I want medium or dark brown to go with work clothes.

I recently purchased that exact Bigfoot belt in brown. The actual belt I received is dark brown, I also ordered it with the flat black buckle. The color selection on their site only says black or brown and the photo they show of the brown is much lighter than what I actually got (I prefer darker too so I was pleased with that...). The seem to have excellent customer service, I would give them a call to clarify to them your choice in case mine was an anomaly. The belt is excellent quality much nicer than I expected for the price

Welp, I finally made a decision and ordered a Beltman belt. Once it comes in, I'll report back on quality. With that said, I'll say this for the folks at Beltman: They were very responsive to emails. I emailed them with some questions, and they responded very quickly, within 24 hours. Then they followed up to make sure that I'd gotten the response when they didn't hear back from me (I'd missed the email in my inbox). I had a few more questions, and they were really great about answering them. If the belt quality is everything it's reputed to be, I'll likely go back to them when it's time for a new belt in black.

I see you already purchased. Just for the sake of it, I have found this belt the best one I have ever owned. And at 1/4 inch thick the price is extremely reasonable.

https://www.hanksbelts.com/collections/leather-gun-belts/products/hanks-gunner-leather-gun-belt

Edit: I took a look at the Beltman you purchased. Probably a better choice for Suit wear. While I love the Hanks mentioned above, I'm retired and mostly wear jeans, with the occasion dress slacks. If I was still wearing suits I would have purchased the Hanks in a 1.25" belt.

Bill

Last edited:
Yes, I did already order, but thanks for the recommendation.

My Beltman belt came in, and I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that despite a series of fairly detailed emails between me and Beltman, I'm (slightly) displeased with the sizing. I measured my old belt in a couple of different ways, including the method on their website, and emailed all of those measurements to Beltman to make sure I got the right size. I included information about exactly how I carry. I got the size they suggested. I can get it on, but I have to use the last or second-to-last hole. I should have gone up one size, just in case.

The good news is that it really is a fantastic belt. Not that I'm an expert in leatherworking, but the craftsmanship looks wonderful. The edges are smooth, the stitching is recessed, and the color is the medium brown I was looking for. And it certainly does the job. It makes a G19 with an extra mag on the weak side feel like nothing.

In fact, when the time comes to replace my black belt (which will be fairly soon), I may just order from Beltman, but in a size larger. I may or may not go back into research mode, and if you've seen very many of my posts, you know that's saying something.

What is it with sizing? I ordered a nice shirt a couple months ago. A mens large. When it arrived we all got a good laugh. My 7 year old grandson could not fit into it. It was made elsewhere. Actually I think in Keebler land.

Anyway Spats it might be time to lose 10 pounds. LOL!

Bill

I had the same issue when I recently ordered my Bigfoot gun belt (great belt BTW). I did exactly as they said on their web page and thought no way, so I orderd one size smaller. I got what I wanted, the extra end doesnt flap out in space, but im on the last hole to too small if I use this for IWB. Works perfect for OWB.

The problem is there is no industry belt size or measurement. Before I placed my order I compared the sizing/measurement methods from other gunbelt places (including The Beltman) and they are all different.

The solution is to get lucky and stick with that brand. When you find one that works, maybe order another one for the future. Like good boots.

Back