Yesterday's Take

Wyoredman

Here are the photo's of my good friends trap line take from yesterday.

Of the eight, 5 were trapped, 3 were shot with a Ruger M77 .204!

These were from last week. All taken with a .204. Making nice fur this year!

Coydogs are virtually nonexistent.

Coyotes and domestic dogs almost never interbreed.

Almost all wild dogs are either pure coyote or pure wild, domestic dog.

"Coydog" has become a catch all for "a dog that isn't tame".

Your friend is doing the Sportsman in your area a great service by culling these animals.

I've always been a bit curious Wyoredman:
Are yotes judged by their snout size in regards to their age like deer are? {long snout >adult--short snout >juvenile}

nice catch!!

How much of the processing does your friend do (kill and sell, case, tanning)? What are they getting for hides these days?

Sure Shot, Most coyotes are judged by their size for age. I don't think many live past two or three anyway. They get hunted and trapped pretty heavily here. Both by sportsmen, trappers, and government predator control folks.

Early season is the best time for both numbers and fur quality. After December, the Government trappers start flying and shooting them from planes and placing M-44 cyanide traps. This is the time of year the ranches start having lambs and calves. They put a lot of political pressure on the Government guys to thin them out after Christmas.

The surviving coyotes get pretty smart pretty fast and are hard to call after that.

Besides, after Christmas, they start rubbing and their fur isn't very good anymore.

I think they den in the spring and have litters, so early in the fall, there are lots of dumb young pups running around and the adults have forgotten what predator calls sound like. The fur is prime this time of year, also.

Grizz,

We all do the skinning and stretching ourselves. The fur buyer comes around once or twice a month, but we usually save our wares 'till spring. Seems we get a lot better price in February or March? Not sure why.

The .204 Ruger has made the sewing jobs a lot easier! We used to hunt them with .220 Swift, but always seemed to have big exit holes to sew. Tried lots of different bullets in the Swift, and the Sierra 50gr's were about the best for not blowing things up too bad. The .204 with Hornady bullets works excellent, hardly ever an exit wound to sew! We have pretty much switched to the .204 for that reason!

Trapped coyotes get a .22 LR to the head, nothing at all to sew!

ETA - The State doesn't have a bounty, but the last few years the RMEF and Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife have given $20 bucks for a pair of ears. They aren't offering it this year, as fur prices are up and the coyote is worth more than the bounty. People started selling fur, they weren't collecting the ear money!:)

Really nice looking fur. In the late 70's early 80's, when I ran a trap line, we were getting $50-$60 per yote. Has it went up any?

Last year the best we got was $65. Most averaged around $40. I did hear of some that sold for $85, but I wasn't lucky enough.

Bobcat sold around $400 last year. I haven't caught any yet this year, but hope to soon! I've heard some selling for near $600! :eek:

Coydogs are virtually nonexistent.

Coyotes and domestic dogs almost never interbreed.

Almost all wild dogs are either pure coyote or pure wild, domestic dog.

"Coydog" has become a catch all for "a dog that isn't tame".
not to completely derail this thread but I must say that
1. I have never heard anyone refer to a wild dog as a coydog. I live on the res. at some point german sheperds, pitbulls, dobermen and rottweilers were very common but after generations of these animals being allowed to run free around the reservation the offspring are closer to a coyote than any domestic dog breeds and I have personally seen mixed packs including wild dogs and coyotes.
2. under normal circumstances, packs of coyotes will run dogs to death but lone coyotes are more common than packs around here and one on one, coyotes become a lot less agressive and when unable to breed with other coyotes lone males will breed with domestic dogs.
3. there are specialized breeders whom breed coydogs, so they are not so uncommon as to be unheard of or rare. there are dozens of threads that pop up on google searches of people who have coydogs, often only finding out about it when a vet tries to determine what kind of a mutt it is.

ok derailment over.
that is an insane week. the most coyotes I've ever seen in a single day is 3 and still have yet to get close enough to one without it hauling hieney to take a shot.

On the above note, My grandpa had a coydog. Him and my uncle saw with their own eyes, the neighbors young female Shepard with a coyote stuck to it. My grandpa went down and told him and if she ended up pregnant, he wanted a pup. Best (and weirdest looking) dog he ever had. She looked mostly Shepard build wise, but had the wildest color coat you'd ever see. Marked just like a yote, fur felt the same too.

Now on topic, pictures like that still amaze me :o you might go the whole year around here and only see five total.

Back