Yes there are BIG Maryland bucks

Jack O'Conner

deerMarylandbuck.jpg

One of the guys hunting with a different party arrowed this big bodied buck on NOV 4. I'm the guy in the photo for size reference only. But truthfully, this is not my deer at all. Buck was weighed by Aberdeen Army Base Officials after field dressing, it weighed 172 lbs. This is a BIG deer anywhere and that includes the Great Lakes Region & Dakotas as well.

The myth of little east coast deer is just that - a myth.

Jack

In size it'd beat our coues deer all to heck. They top out field dressed a bit over 100 lbs for a big one.

That's a nice deer, for sure, and should provide some good eating for someone.

All that said, I love the taste of coues deer meat. One of my favorite game animals to put on the table.

Daryl

I wished I had pics of the 240 lb. (field dressed!) buck they had lifted to the scales a couple years ago in Wild Rose, Wisconsin. They couldn't raise it high enough to get his feet off the ground. I'm going to say almost twice as long as that deer.

Been seeing a lot of big bucks taken this year for our state's average size. They aren't anything like you guys in the midwest have but our deer are woods deer and have smaller genetics overall. Though don't let size fool you, a swamp donkey is a hard animal to kill especially considering the length of the season and how "educated" these deer get.

I have seen a lot of bucks taken in the Elkton area years ago that were huge.

I have bowhunted in areas there where the genetics were incredible.

Things may have changed.

I used to live in NC in the mountains near Hendersonville. The deer in the mountains were like puppy dogs and they hunted them on horseback. If you went to the east to the central and eastern section of NC the deer were MUCH bigger. I understand that many years ago they introduced some Wisconsin deer there and in SC also. So NC has tiny deer and good sized deer. I love Wisconsin deer. Every year we see a few at the registration station (or that someone got on our land) that weigh over 200 lbs. field dressed. That's a huge deer. You can't believe how long the body is.

Here's an example. It was taken on my stand the YEAR BEFORE I got in on the lease and weighed over 180 lbs. field dressed. (That's a LONG bed F250 pickup).

Attachments

• GarysDeer2a.jpg
    GarysDeer2a.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 66
Here's some bucks that field dressed over 200 lbs. from last year in Wisconsin. I didn't mean to deflate your enthusiasm over the Maryland deer size. If that's a good one for Maryland good for you! I just can't help myself when it comes to huge deer. Sorry if I hijacked and ruined your thread. I don't try to be an a**hol* but sometimes it just comes out!!

Attachments

• buck3.JPG
    buck3.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 74
  • indabuck1.jpg
    indabuck1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
For an urban deer , that's a nice one . The average weight for bucks in VT is approaching 140 # , big ones are 100# heavier .

Yes, MD does have some big deer. In 1965 i killed a 12 point buck in Charles county that weighed 241 pounds field dressed. A local sportsman's store awarded two Winchester model 94 rifles: One for the heaviest deer and one for the biggest rack: My deer won both; he scored 178 points.

Yes, MD does have some big deer. In 1965 i killed a 12 point buck in Charles county that weighed 241 pounds field dressed. A local sportsman's store awarded two Winchester model 94 rifles: One for the heaviest deer and one for the biggest rack: My deer won both; he scored 178 points.

What? No pics? :D That had to be a monster.

Jack,

You're thread seems to have gone awry. I was back in MD for Thanksgiving. I did get out on opening day in Montgomery county. Shot a nice 10 pointer. Not a big as some of my others from that area, but still a great deer. No pictures, sorry, I forgot the camera.

Keep it up!

Back