Yep the .243 still kills deer.

Panfisher

Thought I might get to try a cheap blood tracking light this evening, but the big doe was DRT. My wife shot her a little high but just under the spine, but took out about 4 inches of what my wife says was the decending aorta, I refer to it as "that big blood vessel thingy". Load: 100 grain Hornady BTSP, over 34.0 grains of IMR 4895, super mild load that continues to kill deer for her, since some of you are like me and want to know more, range roughly 85 yards, rifle Ruger 77 Stainless with the old skeleton stock and my old Leupold 2-7 VXII scope. Bullet is somewhere in the dirt behind where the deer was laying. All edible parts are chilling in two coolers right now, heck maybe I'll even go, eh maybe. She still has one more tag to use, maybe I'll save mine for MuzzleLoader (alternative season).

Congrats to your wife.

I hadn't hunted in 16yrs, when my son decided he wanted to go hunting. I had sold off all of my hunting rifles in years past, and was unsure about buying a new one until I found out how serious my son was about hunting. A friend loaned us his 243 for our hunt. I had always used 30-06, and looking at the little 243 cartridge wasn't exactly confidence inspiring. Nevertheless between the two of us, 3 shots were fired, and 3 deer put in the freezer. None traveled very far before dropping, and I no longer have any doubts about the 243 for Whitetail.

Very nice! Yes the .243 will still kill a deer, but many question it since it isn't a 30-30, 30-06 or a .270. But the old .243 has enough punch to get the job done. Got any pictures?

I too will vouch for the .243 killing deer. I laid out a doe and an old ten point buck with my Remington 700 .243 (Simmons 3-9x40 scope) using rounds that my grandfather handloaded back in the late 70's to early 80's. I have never had to buy any ammo from the store and the old soft points that were put together by my grandfather have worked just dandy killing deer every year for the last 15 years that I have been hunting.

Panfisher, what part of MO are you hunting? Opening weekend up here was WAY too windy. I got both my deer Monday after opening weekend when the weather was a bit more friendly.

Yep opening weekend was a bit windy here too on the northern edge of the ozarks. Seemed like I was gonna get blown out of the tree. I have a picture but am not smart enough to post it nothing spectacular just a nice fat doe.

You must have killed that deer in the mythical place called "The Real World". Everyone on the Internet knows the .243 isn't enough for deer. ;)

Now Peetz, thats not a moderator-like reply,,,:rolleyes: But the simple truth is that the .243 winchester round is an extremely popular round for deer, and with proper bullets it kills deer nicely.
My daughter killled her very first deer with the .243, using Winchester "gray box" 100 grn powerpoints.... We currently load 100 grn Sierra Gamekings for her Mark X, .243 and it loves them,, haven't taken any animals yet but very confident to use it...... cept she doesn't let anybody use it...:o

Many people doubt the .243 and many people swear by it. I swear by it. I do have other deer rifles in bigger calibers but I keep coming back to my .243 for some reason. Dropped many a deer, even more foxes/feral dogs, and a couple hogs with mine. It has earned its place in my safe for the rest of my life.

The best part of this story...You have a wife educated in anatomy! Great for the both of you. Deer hunting with your Dear is great fun! Congratulations.:D

You must have killed that deer in the mythical place called "The Real World". Everyone on the Internet knows the .243 isn't enough for deer.

.50 BMG isn't enough for deer either. I'd suggest a bare minimum of 20x102mm Vulcan, but 40mm is much better suited. :rolleyes:

243 Great little cartridge for the start-outs and ladies. As we all read she is one (#1) up on you Panfisher. Wind rain or snow. No matter. Better get busy or your bound to hear about her deer all winter long. As of now she has those Bragging Rights in her pocket and can put away her rifle. You on the other-hand.~~~Well you know?_:D

My congratulations to your Mrs. tonight Sir. S/S:)

BTW: Nice deer there stolivar.

If I go back and count the number of deer each of us has taken since she started deer hunting she would be several up on me. She likes to hunt them, I like to make sure she has what she needs to hunt, and in the in it works out very well for me.;) If mama ain't happy then ain't nobody happy. Besides she doesn't complain when I buy a new knife (obviously for field dressing her deer), or something that makes more noise!

I don't know, the .243 is still pretty new fangled. It's not even 60 years old yet.

Better give it another 40 years till we pass judgment.

Many people doubt the .243 and many people swear by it. I swear by it. I do have other deer rifles in bigger calibers but I keep coming back to my .243 for some reason. Dropped many a deer, even more foxes/feral dogs, and a couple hogs with mine. It has earned its place in my safe for the rest of my life.

243's work if you make a good hit and have been working for a long time. Congratulations on the deer!

I prefer something a tad larger, but the 243 works.

I was a little skeptical about the 243 seeing as I am a 30-06 fan. My son inherited a Model 70 from his Gpa and took a nice little doe with it opening day in MO. 100gr PPU soft points dropped her in her tracks at about 75yds. Funny thing is that I couldnt tell the difference from DRT with a 243 to DRT with a 30-06.

The difference comes to play if the hit is not as good between the -06 and .243. With the .243, you're pretty much taking neck or broadside shots. The quartering shots are the ones to avoid but it is always a matter of degree.

I'm not a bit scared to shoot a quartering shot on a deer with a .243/6mm. Any 95-100 gr bullet would do the job but a partition,TSX, or a good bonded bullet will pass through every time. Shoot through the vitals and the deer isn't going far.

Bullet construction and shot placement is everything whether you are shooting a .243 or a .30-06

Back