Yellow Jacket Ammo . . .

Prof Young

Shooters:

I used to shoot a lot of Yellow Jacket ammo when I squirrel hunted. Great ammo for a quick kill.

It occurred to me that I haven't seen any on the ammo shelves at the store for a long, long time. I kind of miss it.

I'm guessing that since Remington is not longer with us, neither is Yellow Jacket ammo.

Thoughts and comments welcomed.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Vista bought the Remington ammunition production facilities and intellectual property back in 2020.

Vista is now trying to sell off the ammunition business.

Remington rimfire has been readily available for quite some time.
Three of my distributors still show Yellow Jacket sku's.

Yes, those Yellow Jackets would sometimes make quarter size exits on ground squirrels when you hit them inside 25 yards. They were cheaper than stingers back in the 80s and were one of my favorite 22 rounds for small game hunting compared with unreliable LRN bullets. Fast forward over 30 years and I don't really hunt with 22s anymore. They are now just used for training, target shooting and plinking. I like to use my 77/17 in Hornady Mach 2 or my Ruger American in 17HMR for small game hunting. If you liked Yellow Jackets you will find Hornady Mach 2 the ideal lightning bolt on small game. The HMR is more expensive has a little longer range but wastes that extra energy unless you are regularly shooting past 100 yards. When you do shoot past 100 yards the wind makes hitting with light bullets a crap shoot.

Remington still lists Yellow Jacket, but am kinda surprised that they haven't consolidated their rimfire offerings. They used to have a bewildering number of choices (which as a rimfire guy I loved) but since shelf space is king these days, too many options isn't viewed as good for the retailer. I stocked up, so am good for the future (maybe) but Golden Bullet seems to be their main offering now in box stores.

Yellow jacket can still be found online, but it is expensive. I would rather shoot Aguilla interceptor. 40gr at 1470fps.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Been a lot of changes in rimfire shooting in the last 24 years. Before 2000 you could choose 22LR between 32, 33, 36, 40 and 42 grains and the 22 magnum with loading options being 30, 34, 40, 45 and 50 grains. Then the 17hmr came out and opened up a whole new level of performance. Flatter shooting than any prior rimfire, more accurate for small game with great bullet upset and priced similar to 22 magnum. This was followed by the 17 HM2 based on the stinger case and priced $5 below 17 hmr. Now we also have the 17 Winchester Super Magnum costing over $5 a box more than 17 HMR and the centerfire 17 Hornet which can cost over $1 a round to shoot and you start to understand why the 22 Yellow Jacket simply doesn't have the same demand it did before any of the 17s offered a level of performance the Yellow Jacket could not match.

Back