Year 2000 Rifle Suggestions? Help!?

SunTzu

Inactive
Ok, need some input for Y2k weapons considerations...please help...

So far I have an SKS (1000 rounds for it), an assortment of pistols, and a Mossberg

The thing is, I am on a budget, and dont know whether I should spend 700 bucks or so
on an AR-15, buy another AK style rifle, semi-auto or should I just stockpile a couple
thousand rounds more for the SKS? What about a scoped rifle (bolt action) perhaps in
.308 or something? Any accessories recommended for the SKS?

The thing is, I heard about the AR15 being real finicky about cleaning. I wouldn't mind cleaning it, i do anyways with all my stuff, but is it absolutely reliable? Or should I get something else? Any particular suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

I used to have an SKS. One item that I hated asbout it was the tedious and complex takedown...most modern rifles, AR15 included are easier. If you can handle recoil, 308 looks like a better bet than 7.62x39 to me.

Sounds like your pretty well armed against peoples :). If your truly worried about the end how about buying a used ruger 10/22 and spending the rest of the money on food and water?

Of course if you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new toy......

enjoy,

Olazul

A Ruger 10/.22 (or any .22 rifle) would be an ideal choice for a "Y2K rifle" 'cause you can carry lots of ammo, accurate, won't mess up small game much if you had to hunt, stealthy due to low report and pretty powerful for its size.

I would suggest a bolt-ac rifle. You already have equipment to handle close range (pistols), short range (shotgun), and medium range (semi-rifle) but don't have anything for long range. In order for the b-rifle to work as intended, however, you do need early warning. Get a less costly but effective rifle such as a Savage, a moderately priced scope, and I high mag pair of binoculars.

- Ron V.

------------------

Sounds like you have a good start. I am not sure what you should buy next.. Do you live in urban or Country area? Do you plan on arming your wife, or anyone else in you home? I like all the above ideas.

SunTzu:

If you are on a severely restricted budget, I'd spend my money FIRST on...TRAINING

A Marksman's Enterprise/Thunder Ranch/ or Gunsite Urban Carbine graduate with a 30-30 lever action is MORE dangerous than a bozo with an AR-15A3 pre-ban with military Aimpoint scope and whatever else on his "Klingon rifle".

The well-trained rifleman will have confidence in what he can/cannot do. Knowing your boundaries, and having professional coaching to extend those borders to new horizons you never dreamed of...its an incredible feeling I cannot do justice in describing.

SunTzu: You have the web page addresses for the above schools? Or just do a search on gun training or something and have fun surfing for a good long while.

Edmund

While "training" is important, I don't think that spending money on a tight budget to go to schools is sucha good idea. There are a lot of people and books that can share the basic concepts with you for much less. Spoend the money on ammo.. IMHO, The most important training is done on the trigger.. not at some guru's school.

Uh ... his "Klingon rifle" ... to extend those borders to new horizons you never dreamed of ... to go where no Y2K'er has gone! This is the voyage of SunTzu ...

Actually, sounds like practice as Rob suggests, and making sure you've got decent ammo for your weapons would have you covered in the weapons department. If we need thousands and thousands of rounds in January 2000, I think you'll want to be traveling light and headed out of town. ;) Why not lay in a little drinking water, a little extra food, and just hope the year 2000 Superbowl is a better show? No harm making reasonable preparations for any disruption of society, but I'm not building a bunker, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 02-05-99).]

My solution was to pick up a .223 carbine and a .22 autoloader. Get used to shooting a long gun fiirst, burn up lots of .22, then get outside with the .223 and learn to shoot it from various positions. Shoot good ammo to get the aim right, also use some lousy ammo to learn to clear jams.

SunTzu,
Sounds to me like you're already loaded for bear. Spend your money on food, water and other items. If the world goes to pieces (and I'm not so sure it'll be that bad) the trick will be to survive the first encounter with the bad guys. If you make it, just take whatever weopons they had.

The military or police rifle most likely to be available in your 'territory' - and intensive training with it... but there isnt much time left, if you feel that the end is nigh - so best get good with what one has and stock ammunition (or the kit and components to make it thereof) and keep the shotgun!

Back