Yea or Nea ?

Old Stony

So whatcha think....too small to keep or just more pork? Should they be turned loose or harvested? Just curious about the opinions on this....

Let go and re-harvest later unless you have a major hog pest issue. I like about a 125# animal. Domestic pigs will revert back to wild hogs in I think five generations.

As much as I hate "killing babies", FITASC nailed it, we have a serious problem in Texas.

Smoke 'em then smoke them.

Actually, I probably had 25 or more in the trap late yesterday, but most of them managed to escape after they tore loose a portion of cattle panel along the bottom of one side. I think the last 4 that were in the pic above were probably the least intelligent ones in there since they couldn't find the hole to get out.
Oh...they eventually ended up at a neighbor's house where they are scheduled for a smoker experience.
I do turn loose the real small striped ones, but once they reach 40-50 lbs. they are smoker fodder.

They start reproducing pretty young. I say take 'em out!

Nice trap!

I hate when you have a trap full and they manage to escape.

Around Blountstown, Florida, it's common to trap hogs in the bottomlands along the Appalachicola River. The choice is the shoats around 40 pounds.

Mmmmmmm.......I do love roasted suckling pig. There is so much you can do culinarily with little pigs. Roasted whole the skin is delicious. There is more collagen in young animals so they make great souse, head cheese or just good old stock. Not to mention those delicious young pork livers. Lamb, veal, suckling pig, and Cornish hen are all examples of young animals eaten regularly. There is no ethical issue eating them in my mind:D

I would personally use them as atlatl practice. Then, dine on them. The extra collagen will be good for making bacon aspics!

So in short:

Eliminate them.

Back