y2k ok - 01/01/2000 12:13pm

Well its 01/01/2000 and all is fine.

I just had the beat the bannana benders and West Australians.

I was going to let off some shots on the old 12 gauge but the air was clear tonight and shots wouldve echoed.
Besides didn't want to hit a stray cow or horse.

ok ok ok a typo 12:13 am

[This message has been edited by rabbit assassin (edited December 31, 1999).]

Reports that some 200 ATM bank machines in Britian have failed. They are refusing cards cause they think it is 1900. I'm glad that you are okay. But watch for airplanes falling from the sky.

Thanks for the update rabbit assassin! I haven't heard that about those ATM machines. I'll have to look into that. I didn't think it would be 2000 in Britain for several more hours yet (like maybe about 6 hours?).

Correct me if I'm wrong Ned, but at this time, it's about 6pm or so in Britain. If so, how can the ATMs fail?

[This message has been edited by SB (edited December 31, 1999).]

The clocks for the ATM's are probably being referenced from another remote source, such as when you do a draft transfer, withdrawal, or the such. Being the computers are all networked and access one of many databases, (multiple backups) you might well not get the same server twice in a row.

If they're having problems of the like, then it might be safe to say a server farther east on the longitude was being used at the time.

Hmmm, mayber there is something to this Y2K biz...

Best Regards,
Don

[This message has been edited by Donny (edited December 31, 1999).]

Re Brit ATMs:

Apparently the software looks ahead 4 days (something about verifying merchant registry) when the card is scanned...so, for the past couple days it looked ahead and found 1900 and hence, the merchants don't exist, so the card is declined.
So, they pulled out the old hand press card machines and all is well. Perhaps tho, there will be a lot of carpel tunnel claims? ;)

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Luckily I live in the "fly over" State of Iowa. Since we're always years behind the East & West coasts I won't have to worry about Y2K for about a decade.

Back