Xp 100 221 fireball

I believe all of the Rem. XP-100's in .221 fireball were drilled for scopes. They were intended to be long range guns and the scope was thought to be needed.

The XP 100 pistol is based on the Remington 40X (Carbine) and the Remington 600 (Rifle). Making it easy to scope...

Always wanted one of those critters. The factory barrels are all drilled and tapped for a scope. Would make a good varmint gun (of opportunity) for the truck that you can tuck away unseen in a case or under a blanket.

The factory barrels are all drilled and tapped for a scope.

NO!! They are not. The barrels are NOT drilled and tapped for a scope!

The ACTION is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The barrel is drilled and tapped for the screws that hold on the vent rib.

Biggest task now is finding an original for fair money. Everyone seems to be buying them for the action and turning them into 1K ubber pistols.

I passed on quite a few in recent decades, all with what I'm sure were functional, but to my eye horrendously ugly stocks on them, in a variety of standard and wildcat calibers. What I wanted was one in original condition and caliber. They nylon stock and .221 cal.

Finally found one at a show a few years ago, and got it, for about $150 less than current market at the time, The dealer had it for ages, and was quite happy to drop the asking price and bargain, if I would only BUY IT. ;)

He also had a couple others, wild laminated stocks, 14" tubes 7mm-08, or some other round...he wasn't keen on making a deal for them, because "somebody will buy those!!"

Mine came wearing a 2x scope, (Herters or JC Higgins, I'd have to check) very much the period piece, which is what I wanted to go with my collection of Model 600 carbines.

The trigger is light, sweet and crisp, but factory ammo is stupidly expensive. I have dies and new brass now, and will eventually do some loading and shooting.

My gun will probably go back on the market someday, if my heirs so choose...;)

I followed one around a gun show once trying to catch the guy and ask what he wanted for it. By the time I ran into him he had already sold it to a dealer for $350:eek:. The dealer let me hold it, stroke it and smell it but wouldn't let me buy it.

early fireball

The trigger transfer bar/weight (if that there names) made for a poor trigger pull. My scoped one, when new, was no better than a T/C Contender in 223. But it was a must buy for the cool factor.

I followed one around a gun show once trying to catch the guy and ask what he wanted for it. By the time I ran into him he had already sold it to a dealer for $350.
I'd have cried.

Nearly bought one once from the custom shop in .308 Win. Would still love to have one in ANY caliber.

Stevie, it's too bad you don't live near me. I've been thinking of selling my XP100R to free up some funds for other purchases.

Remington XP 100. They were so goofy looking I kind of wanted one back in the late '70's but thought the $167 the Texas gun shop wanted for one was a little high for a freaky bolt action pistol. Sigh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_XP-100

There was an English action/adventure/spy novel where the gun wasn't mentioned by name but was described so minutely that it 'had' to be a .221 Fireball Remington XP 100. Can't remember the name but the author did a good job on the guns. He also had another guy shooting a .375 H&H Magnum rifle in the book and sounded like he knew what he was about with it. Wish I could remember the name of the book or author just know it was not Ian Fleming.

P.S. I actually WANTED one of the really goofy looking after market stocks for the thing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rem...Qjei93cYCFQhxPgodChUHTg#imgrc=Mviny-sC-k2FfM:

Last edited:
I am looking at a 4 digit 1963 model that is scoped and only mounted on the front of the receiver (crown???) only. Did the gun come from the factory with one or two holes in this area and since I am counting holes, on the bridge at the rear, is there only one hole. If anyone has a picture of an original from the top showing the original scope mounting holes they can post, I would appreciate it

Thanks

Back