XMP-5744 in Handguns?

Dave T

A dealer friend handed me the latest soft cover version of the Accurate Arms loading manual. It has a whole section devoted to their 5744 powder. I had known for years of people using this in large capacity (black powder era) rifle cases but was surprised to see loads listed for handgun cases, i.e. 44 Special, 44-40, 44 Mag and of particular interest 45 Colt.
I have loaded up some test rounds but won't be able to get to the range with the chronograph until this weekend, or the first of next week. Anyone out there tried AA 5744 in handguns? How does it shoot? What kind of velocities did you get? How dirty or clean burning was it? Curiosity is killing me since I can't get to the range for a while.

To the 17 of you who bothered to look at this post, I will pass on the results of my experiments with this powder in the 45 Colt.

The manual (AAC) lists 17.8g as max with a 255g lead bullet. My bullets are 250g so I tried 17.5g and 18g. Chronographed out of a 4 5/8" Ruger Vaquero with the first sky screen 10ft from the muzzle. Results were: 788 fps with 17.5g and 813 fps with 18g. A lot of unburned powder grains left in the chambers when I ejected the empties.

Accurate says 5744 is "uncompairable" and it may be in large rifle cases but I was completely underwhelmed by its performance in the 45 Colt. Oh well, you don't know unless you try!

I saw it in the Accurate manual. My response was: whee!-another slow burning pistol powder. There are plenty of bulky slow burners that can accomplish what 5744 does in a pistol for CAS (universal clays comes to mind). I don't shoot the .45 Colt, but I do shoot a lot of lead .44 mag loads. I just bought some tightgroup, which, with it's lessened position sensitivty, should allow me to get decent groups, even with light charges.

Back