Xds 40 opinions please

bspillman

I’m thinking of swapping my gen 3 glock 23 for one. Can anyone tell me how the recoil is on this model? Is it controllable? Does anyone pocket carry one? Thanks.

I’m thinking of swapping my gen 3 glock 23 for one. Can anyone tell me how the recoil is on this model? Is it controllable? Does anyone pocket carry one? Thanks.

Pocket carry of the XDS is certainly possible. I have done it, and will again when I carry the XDS again. You just need big enough pockets.

No opinion on it in .40.

My 23's are my some of my favorite pistols ..... One is a fulltime 32 (357 sig ) other is mostly a 23 ... But at times it has a 9mm or the frame my wear a 38 upper (45Gap )
Id personally keep my 23 .. and maybe pick up a 27 .... Just my 2 cents

As for the 40 S&W .. It shines with 180gr HST for SD ... The 357 Sig I reccomend Underwood 125gr GD

28qt7vp.jpg

33nkbau.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO, if you’re used to a Glock trigger, the trigger break on at least some of the XD’s might throw you off your targets. At least that has been my experience. I’d want to shoot any XD before I actually committed to buying one.

I don't have the 40 but I have the XDS 45. Even with fairly hot defensive ammo
I can manage the recoil. My gun is very accurate and really reliable. As for pocket carry XDS pistols are pretty heavy for their size. I think mine is 21.5 oz. empty while the 9s and 40s would be a little heavier.

I shoot competition with several guys doing XDm 40s and they rock em. They get major power factor and a midpoint recoil relative to 9 and 45. I don’t know about a carry gun. Seems rather on the larger size to me. Better to do a compact xd like xde or xde or mod 2.

I would suggest that before you buy one You try one. The grip angle might not suit you. Pick one up does it feel good in your hand, does it have a natural point. The XD series has the same grip angle as the 1911. It's not the same as the Glocks.

Back