xd in 4in or 5in?

jr05

I am going to be getting an XD soon and would like to try it out for IDPA and/or IPSC. I have been looking at both the 4in and 5in models and was wondering which would be best for general range use and some competition. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JR

I've got both a XD Service in .40smith and a XD Tactical in .45acp. The Tactical (5in) is nice, a little nose heavy (but that helps with muzzle flip), seems a bit more accurate (longer sight radius may be helping there). The Service (4in) is a nice pistol as well, no slouch on accuracy, and is fun to shoot.

I do, however, prefer the full length guide rod on the Tactical versions over the Service versions' captive spring, 2 piece type guide rod. With the .40smith, you'll also have the option of getting conversion barrels. You can change to .357sig with the swap of a barrel or can go to 9mm with the swap of the barrel and magazines.

Whichever version you choose, I'm sure it will serve you well. My preference is for the Tactical (5in) version though and I shoot the .45 a lot more than I do the .40!

I lean towards the "Tactical" 5" for longer sight radius and conventional single recoil spring. I'd go 9mm for the cheap ammo; that is all USPSA Production and IDPA ESP require, more power is no advantage unless you enter in other divisions versus more refined guns.

Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward the 5in from a post in the general forum, but wanted to get input from people here since I will be using it to start IDPA. I put a deposit down on a tactical 9mm version today and will be getting it soon.

I would go with the 4" XD-9 if you have your heart set on an XD. The extra weight on the front may seem like a blessing, but not on a polymer gun. With autos we fight reciprocating mass during recoil. The less reciprocating mass the less felt recoil. On steel guns it can be slightly off-set by the longer dust cover, but I find the 4" recoils better for me. Unfourtunately I don't know now what I knew when I bought my XD:

My 5" XD-40 is nose-heavy as heck, so I was always droping my shots low. The trigger is squishy and that didn't do me any favors at the range. The 12-round capacity meant I might as well shoot L-10 or Prod with it. I ended up buying a Para and never ever looked back.

The point is that you will quickly progress to the point were the gun is actualy holding you back. Then you will want a gun that is actualy well-suited to IPSC.

But again, if your heart is set, get the 9mm, shoot it in Production, who knows, your XD experience may vary from mine.

Back