x or a bolt

NHSHOOTER

I am thinking of a new rifle, most probably a Browning, I do like a wood stock but synthetic is ok because I can always swap it for a Boyds. My question, X or A bolt? What are the differences? Which is the better rifle?

I'll be honest I don't have any experience with the A-bolt but I do have a white gold medallion x-bolt in .223 and its such a great gun. Easily the best trigger I've ever pulled.

can't help much either. I've had a A bolt medallion in 7-08 since 1995, and love it, but i have don't have any experience with the x bolt. I'd be willing to bet both guns are great.:)

I had a few A-bolts. Still have one in stainless/synthetic, 7mm Rem Mag.
Just got rid of one in .300 Win Mag that had a Boyd's on it. I hated that stock. Fit and finish was fine, but in cold, frosty weather it got slicker than greased snot.
Personally, I really like the fit and feel of the factory Browning synthetic stocks.
I cannot offer anything on the X-bolt, never owned one, but I really like my 7mm A-bolt.

I have a X Bolt Stainless Stalker in the 280 Rem and absolutely love it.
This is the first Browning that I've owned, have always been a Ruger guy. When I was looking at them, from everything I could find out, the X Bolt was supposed to be a little more improvement over the A Bolt. I know the X Bolt comes from factory being glass bedded.
I reload for mine and have it dialed into a 1/4" 5 shot groups @ 100 yds off a rest.

They are pretty similar but, have some differences. The A-Bolt has a bolt shroud where the X Bolts bolt is solid. The X has a button to allow the bolt to be worked while on safe. They have different base bolt patterns. The A has a hinged plate with a metal magazine that clips on. The X has a polymer magazine that sits flusher with the stock. The trigger shoe is thinner and has a nicer feel on The X. The X has a little nicer trigger than the A but, are close. Their stock shapes are different from one another with the X being more rounded towards the front.

I have an A-Bolt II in 7mm-08, love the rifle but it was frustrating at first, blasted thing will not shoot any better then 3" groups with any factory ammo, but my handloads got it tightened up to around 0.75" groups which is quite acceptable. Fit an finish is good for what the rifle cost and I LOVE the old flipout magazine. Action and trigger are not quite Sako/Tikka good but plenty smooth enough and crisp enough to be enjoyable. I rate it 8 out of 10.

Any reason for going with Browning only? I own an Abolt, but it's not my favorite gun. Any reason not to consider some other brands?

I own a Browning X Bolt Medallion in 223. Also, I own a Browning 1885 single shot in 223. As one might expect the 1885 is deadly accurate -- but the X Bolt keeps up with it in terms of accuracy. I happen to own a Browning A Bolt in 22 lr. My point being if you like really, really nice walnut, well ALL three are gorgeous.

David :)

Back