X Frame Scope Mount problem

1972RedNeck

8 3/8 barrel 460 S&W. Recently put a scope on it using the Weigand mounts as they seemed to be the best according to the internet.

I followed the directions to a tee. Cleaned all the holes with acetone. Let them dry. Put orange lock tite on the mounting screws. Torqued to spec. Let dry for over a week.

Less than a hundred rounds and the rail is loose from the frame.

What do I need to do to make it hold? Red lock tite with activator? Lock tite between the frame and rail?

What scope are you using and how much does it weigh? I know my 500 has a great deal of recoil and the weight would be a significant factor in a scope staying tight.

Recently put a scope on it using the Weigand mounts as they seemed to be the best according to the internet.

According to the Internet......:rolleyes:

Any chance you checked with S&W to see what they recommend?? (mounts, method of attachment, etc.??)

They should be a fine mount. That is a reputable name brand. Was there any fit problem as you aligned base to gun or rings to scope and mount?

What torques did you apply? Where did you get it from?

What is orange licktite? What number? 242 is ideal for this application.

In the video, they say if it came loose, call them for more screws and run a tap through the screw holes.

My guess is the holes still had oil in them. Is acetone a great degreaser?? I like 91% IPA. The other thing is he pushes forward on the base while tightening, but doesn’t explicitly say that. You must do that.

The only other thing you could do if the above doesn’t work, is bed the base. Save that for next time.

Last edited:
Loc-tite 222 if I remember correctly. Instructions specify "small screw loc-tite only".

13 inch pounds is what the instructions say. Instructions say to use aerosol brake cleaner or carb cleaner followed by compressed air on the screws and screw holes. I used brake cleaner (acetone).

I'm normally not a follower of directions, but this time I followed them to a tee...

Back