X-Bolt vs Hawkeye

Linegrind

Hey so I was thinking about my next rifle purchase a lot lately. I'm waiting on the RF-10's to come back from Radical firearms but in the meantime I thought I'd jump into another bolt gun.

So far I'm torn between a Browning X-bolt or a Ruger Hawkeye. I'll be going with 6.5 creedmore either way because I thought it would be something different and fun. I noticed the X-bolt has a 22" barrel and the Hawkeye I've found around has a 24" barrel with the compensator. I believe it was the FTW version in stainless. Not really a huge difference but I've been told that in 6.5 creed ya want between a 24-28" barrel depending on your needs.

I'll probably be using this gun for hunting most North American game out to about 400 yards aside from Grizzly and Moose in the near future and a fair amount of target shooting.

The X-bolts I've handled have been very light feeling and had exceptionally smooth actions. My uncle has a M77 Mk2 that I really enjoy shooting and handling. Granted the hawkeye is a bit different but the same basic idea from what I've gathered.

I'm just looking for opinions right now. I'm leaning the Ruger so far but I'm wondering if maybe the shorter Browning would be better. I also have to wonder if just getting a Savage 11 with that nikon scope package would be better bang for the buck if I'm going with a 22" barrel.

When they reintroduce the RF-10's I'll be picking up one of those in 6.5 Creed to so long as what I was told by their rep was true about there being a lefty coming out. That's why I've settled on the guns I have by the way, I want a left handed bolt gun. Anywho thanks for any replies and opinions on the 2 rifles.

Last edited:
I have a 77 Hawkeye Predator FTW in 6.5 CM. It has a beefy 24" barrel: all around it is a hefty rifle that is nicely accurate. Most folks wouldn't care to take it for a long hike, but rested, either in a blind or off a bench, it's the cat's meow.

I love mine, my only minor complaint is that for such a heavy rifle Ruger should have gone ahead and given the fore end a bit of a flat bottom. I guess it doesn't matter if you're using a bipod in the field (predators) but from other rested scenarios, I would prefer a varmint style fore end.

Paragraphs really, really help. If I understand correctly you're looking at the X-bolt and Hawkeye because they are left handed rifles offered in the cartridge you want? I'd lean Ruger over Browining, but neither are rifles I really like nor do I own either. I like Savage, but if they don't offer what you need/want why buy it.

I've handled a few X-bolt rifles and they don't fit me well, but I've heard they are accurate. I've handled and shot a few Ruger rifles and they always feel a little awkward handling to me. Their cast receivers always seem to center the weight of the rifle in the action, and it always feels like the balance is off to me.

20"-24" barrel length is about perfect for a hunting rifle, if the rifle is mainly a target rifle then 24"+ is okay. I actually prefer 20"-22" on most rifles I hunt with as the cheapest and easiest way to cut weight on a rifle is in the barrel. You're not going to give up much in 6.5CM by using a shorter barrel vs. a longer one since it doesn't burn much powder to start with.

I suppose the longer barrel length doesn't bother me. My current primary hunting rifle is a 26" Rem 700.

I did find some Savages I was considering like the Savage 11 Trophy with the Nikon scope and the Savage 10 in that camo stock with the 24" barrel I saw came in 6.5 creed. I just wasn't sure I wanted the 11. Didn't speak to me much. Though I'll admit the scope package is appealing. I really like the 10/110 that I found in lefty but all the places I found it were out of stock and had no ETA for when they would be getting anymore.

The Ruger appealed to me purely because of the 24" barrel and the cosmetics and the X-bolt I liked because it felt very smooth and lightweight in my hands. So I suppose I could throw in the Savage 11 too because it was on my mind along with the model 10.

BTW the Ruger FTW version with a compensator (as mentioned in the op), I believe to be the newer FTW "Hunter" model. I don't think it has the same heavy barrel that my Predator model has, and therefore should be somewhat lighter.

Thanks oldscot3, Yeah it looked like a pretty standard sporting rifle. It looks like a medium contour at most if even that. I don't mind the weight, I pack light overall when I hunt and I don't wander around much once I get to one of my spots. I only have 80 acres to hunt.

Treed, I'm definitely starting to seriously consider the X-bolt. I'm mentally flip flopping quite a bit. I also have a black scope already to throw on the rifle that would match up. I'm shallow enough with my guns that I need them to match up so I'd end up buying a silver scope to match the stainless. So that's another $400 roughly now that I'm looking into glass I'd want. I'm thinking the buttery smooth X-Bolt might take the cake now.

Completely different rifles. The Hawkeye is going to be a rugged dependable rifle suitable for hard use in harsh conditions or for dangerous game where reliability is a concern.

The X-bolt won't hold up to abuse like the Hawkeye, but will almost always be more accurate.

The plastic trigger guards and trigger keep me from buying anything with a Browning logo these days. They've cut too many corners to be compared to their older rifles.

Well I don't intend to abuse my rifle. Not that most of us really intentionally abuse our rifles. Like I said earlier I'm very back and forth on it. Still leaning X-bolt a bit. I'm not sure if plastic parts bother me. There are some really amazing plastics out there so that might warrant some extra research.

Well I don't intend to abuse my rifle. Not that most of us really intentionally abuse our rifles. Like I said earlier I'm very back and forth on it. Still leaning X-bolt a bit. I'm not sure if plastic parts bother me. There are some really amazing plastics out there so that might warrant some extra research.
They don't bother me from a function standpoint. But if you're going to produce a rifle to be sold at the same price as before and you start swapping metal parts for plastic in an effort to cut costs, then that bothers me.

Not to mention I find Browning triggers to be overly heavy compared to ither brands. I own two Browning rifles, an older A-Bolt 270 and a new T-Bolt Sporter 22LR with the AAA Grade maple stock. The ABolt has a heavy trigger and didn't like any factory ammo, so I had to reload to get the 1.5" groups at 100 yards that I'm calling "good enough" for this rifle. The TBolt is absolutely stunning in beauty, but has a plastic trigger, trigger guard, and cover around the magazine well which screams cheap on a rifle like this. I've adjusted the trigger down all the way and it's still at 5lbs, which I consider way too heavy for a 22. And accuracy is mediocre at best, even using target ammo from Eley and Wolf. So it's a looker, but certainly not a shooter.

I like the X-Bolt much better. Short bolt throws are a must for me and the X-Bolt has one. Very accurate, durable, and have a good overall feel.Trigger is adjustable and has a good pull weight that breaks clean. I would prefer it to have a 24" barrel but, something that can be changed out at a later date if you feel the need to.

I'll have one keep thinking on it. Ill probably go with the Ruger at this point. I'm starting to think I kind of want that extra 2 inches of barrel and the stainless steel. I dunno, if I ever decide I'll try to come back and leave a post.

Back