Wz-48 Mosin Trainer?

Model12Win

Hello!

I managed to purchase a Polish made Wz-48 single-shot .22LR military training rifle from Bud's Gun Shop. I should get it Monday. Here is what they look like (not my rifle):

Polish_Rifle_wz_48_right.jpg

Isn't that sharp? From what I've read, these guns were used to train Polish soldiers before moving on to 7.62x54mmR chambered Mosin Nagant carbines. I own several Mosin Nagants, and having a .22 trainer version is just so cool to me. This will be a fun range and plinking gun, and maybe even a squirrel/rabbit gun someday.

I am making this thread to ask those who have these if they like them, and if they have any problems with them. I have heard that a castle nut keeps the bolt together and if it loosens it can cause problems.

I'd love to here some input on these rifles. I can't wait to own one!! :)

Congrats on the new rifle!
Mine's deep in the safe, so I'm going from memory here. I believe there is a nut on the bolt that will work loose and start causing light strikes. Some folks just put a little blue loctite on it, which seems to work. Very unique extractor that may take a little getting used to, but neat little rifles. They always get folks attention at the range when they hear a puff rather than a boom from the mighty mosin. :D

The wz-48 is interesting- and potentially problematic- because it has an odd, split-chamber design.

The forward end of the extractor actually forms half of the back end of the chamber.

Often, there are issues with these. Didn't know much about them until I was asked if I could fabricate one of the extractors. If they wear, or break, replacements are not available to my knowledge. ENM Sports used to make them, but I believe they have stopped doing so.

Fit is critical, if it's not correct the cases will bulge or separate. I believe these were actually numbered to the rifle they were fitted to originally.

Check the extractor/chamber before firing, and like any rimfire NEVER dry fire.

The wz-48 is interesting- and potentially problematic- because it has an odd, split-chamber design.

The forward end of the extractor actually forms half of the back end of the chamber.

Often, there are issues with these. Didn't know much about them until I was asked if I could fabricate one of the extractors. If they wear, or break, replacements are not available to my knowledge. ENM Sports used to make them, but I believe they have stopped doing so.

Fit is critical, if it's not correct the cases will bulge or separate. I believe these were actually numbered to the rifle they were fitted to originally.

Check the extractor/chamber before firing, and like any rimfire NEVER dry fire.

Aww... that's what I was afraid of. :(

Hopefully mine works okay. I didn't know these were so sketchy, otherwise I may not have bought one.

I had one with chamber issues. As stated the extractor is part of the chamber. Mine was worn/replaced/etc and the case would swell enough the extractor would pull over about half the time with std velocity rounds and almost every time with hi-vel rounds. Be sure to check for that immediately after you receive it in case you need to send it back.

I ended up selling mine to a Mosin collector that just wanted an example, not a shooter. I might try another one someday.

Wow, I guess I got lucky.

I bought a serial number mismatched rifle a few months back,,,
The accuracy with this rifle rivals my CZ-452 Trainer.

I was told to watch for bulged cases,,,
But so far everything seems okay.

It was funny about that "poof" sound,,,
The rifle is very heavy and absorbs all of the recoil.

My first shot was so quiet and had no recoil,,,
I checked the bore thinking I might have had a squib.

It certainly has the accuracy needed to hunt squirrels,,,
But it is a bit heavy to go woods walking with.

I'm looking for a Polish M44 Nagant to pair it with.

Aarond

Back