WWII U.S. .45 ACP Ammo

Alex Johnson

I was just looking in the Shotgun News and noticed a place where they are selling WWII issue .45 ACP hardball. Their asking $104.94 for 756 rounds in a sealed tin. Has anyone bought any of this. I'm thinking of using it for IDPA, I do reload, but I won't have much time for it this summer, besides, this price comes pretty close to beating what I can reload for anyway. It is corrosive, but I can live with that.

I haven't bought any of the the stuff that is curently for sale, but I do have a couple of boxes of it that was surplused out years ago. It is steel cased, manufactured at the Evansville ordnance plant in '43 (headstamp E C S 43). Haven't shot any of it, bought it (as a collector item) at an auction in a small town, also got a couple of boxes of brass cased, various headstamps that I have shot some of. This stuff all went bang in spite of less than ideal storage on a shelf in a garage for who knows how long, ( the woman's husband had been dead for 20 years) 100+ in the summer, -20 in the winter. The stuff that is currently available should have been stored much better, but I don't know if I would use it for competition without shooting a bunch of it to check it out. Might be good for practice.
HTH
bergie

Steel cased .45ACP is harsh on the extractor in a semi-auto. While in my younger years I reloaded and shot a bunch of it, I now shoot it only in my Ruger Blackhawk Convertible revolver.

I have bought and used that WWII GI hardball. Mildly corrosive and made with the best brass money could buy. You will not find better brass than in a tub of that WWII GI ammo. Every round fired and accurate. Not one jam or malfunction. And it is a little dirty. Takes extra scrubbing to get the pistol clean. Check with the seller, but it is probably made with good brass.

Back