WWII OSS 1911a1?

highpower3006

Just watched the new Legacy Collectables video on OSS weapons. Part of the video was on various special weapons that the OSS used as well as the more standard guns sent to the OSS for issue to agents.

He showed a Ithaca 1911A1 that was listed in Clawson's book as being part of a 5000 gun shipment to the OSS 01/11/44, (serial numbers 120xxxx-124xxxx). That serial number range rang a bell with me and I took a look at my Ithaca and darned if it doesn't fall well within the listed serial number range. I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I have a copy of the big book but hadn't looked up my Ithaca yet. To make it a bit more confusing, there are some double entries using the same serial number range as having been shipped to other government entities around the same time.

So the question I am asking myself is "do I have a OSS issued 1911A1"? It doesn't really matter as I am not interested in selling it, so any premium that would be attached to it for it's history would be more or less a moot point.

But darn it all I would like to know....

IMG_3762-XL.jpg

IMG_3765_Fotor-XL.jpg

Last edited:
The range of serial numbers that you show, 120xxxx-124xxxx, would include 50,000 (1200000 to 1249999) numbers. So if there were exactly 5,000 shipped then you have about a one-in-ten chance of having an OSS serial number. Unless you can refine the ranges more.

The range of serial numbers that you show, 120xxxx-124xxxx, would include 50,000 (1200000 to 1249999) numbers. So if there were exactly 5,000 shipped then you have about a one-in-ten chance of having an OSS serial number. Unless you can refine the ranges more.

Exactly. I wish that there was a way to refine the data to narrow it down to a more specific range. Still it would be nice to know what it's actual history is. I've had it for many years and have no intention of selling it and in fact it is already earmarked to go to my son as part of my estate.

Back