WWI Trench gun?

cannonfire

I'm very much into collecting old WWI and WWII weapons and I've been trying to find out what was the model of the US WWI Trench gun? I know during WWII the Winchester Model 1897 and Model 1912 were used in the Pacific, but I cannot find anything that relates to what model the US used in WWI...
Description: Heat shield, hi-capacity, short barrel

thanks I appreciate it. It was one of those things that interested me, and when I couldn't find a solid answer it started to drive me crazy. Everything I found refered to it as the trench gun but no model or nomenclature... And I'm assuming it was 12 ga?

Yes 12 ga . You ought to be able to find photos of the gun on the internet ,just look for 1897 Win .

I've heard claims that there was a 16 gauge as well. "Gentleman" at the local watering hole claims to have one but I'm expecting a Norinco Knock-off when I actually see it.

From my research the Winchester model 97 was the most used. Remington built a few model 10's and the Winchester model 12's were reported to have been issued and used. All were 20" barreled, with heat shield, swivels, sling, and bayonet. I would suggest you buy Canifields book " UNITED STATES COMBAT SHOTGUNS" if you are interested in these type items.

FLIPPER 56 it would be very interesting and historical research if you could see and photograph the 16 guage model 97 trench gun. Many of us researchers would love to see this. One thing that it might be is a riot gun not a trench gun. If I could encourage you to pursue this for us forum rats it would be very interesting. If you do get to look at it, get the serial number and choke markings on the barrel. Also check underside of barrel just ahead of magazine, the originals had 3 evenly spaced "cuts" to accomadate 3 screws that held the heat shield on.

There’s a lot of faked trench guns out there. I’ve only ever seen one real one, but 20 or more riot guns and regular ‘97s retrofitted with the extra parts sold as "trench".

Some of the fakes are REALLY good, too.

I've seen and handled many authentic WW I and WW II era trench/combat shotguns from any number of manufacturers, primarily in a museum setting when I was doing an internship.

I have never seen, nor heard, of any US trench gun in any gauge other than 12.

What MIGHT be the case is that during World War II the military took many thousands of shotguns for use in training pilots, aerial gunners, and anti-aircraft gunners.

It's conceivable that the military took 16 and 20 gauge guns as well as 12 gauge and used them for training, but I would highly doubt that any of them ever made it to combat.

I found that if you (temperarly) put a folding stock on a Model 97 trench gun, you can get it, with the Bayonette, in your shotgun rack of your police car.

I also found, at the same time, the Chief dosnt have a sense of humor.:o

Given the military's love of standardization, it's interesting how many different models were in use concurrently since the Philippine Insurrection.

ANIMAL is correct that many standard shotguns have been altered to look like trench guns. There are some dead givaways. First being choke markings on the barrel, anything but cyl. is a fake. Also the sling swivels were different than any factory style I have ever seen. Lastly few know that the barrel diameter was larger than standard barrels, this allowed the 3 "cuts" ahead of the magazine tube. This increased diameter allowed the 3 mounting screws for the heatshield to sucurely hold the heatshield without it being loose. Though I have never handled a standard barrel with a repo heatshield, I am told it is loose and rattles.

I know many Remington Model 11's in 12 gage were either made OEM into Military SG's (Military Finish and the Safety Changed) and or converted, I am not sure you classify them as Military Shotguns or Trench-guns as the barrel adaptor had the bayonet lug and rifle sight and fit onto the barrel although it never had a heat shield.

They used the Remington 11 with a spade type handle setting for ariel gunnery school. It was set up on a monopod mount just like .50cal Maaaaa Duces. I believe these were used during the time after WWI on up to and during WWII. Remington 11, Savage 720-740-750 Series and the Browning Auto 5, all basically the same firearm with minor changes were used. There were a series of Rem 11's that were even converted to belt fed and the ammo was shaped like .50 cal (only shorter of course), but was 12 gage with a hollow wooden tip(painted with yellow/green/black stripes on the wooden tip) that blew away when the shot pattern blew through it.

^^^^^ I've also heard that the Remington M11 and Browning auto fives were used quite a bit, they had extended tubes as well if I'm not mistaken.

Combat Shotguns by Bruce Canfield covers in depth all the shotguns every used by the US military. I got my copy from Amazon.

Back