WWI Gew98

highpower3006

I just picked up this 1916 dated Mauser Gewehr 98. I have been looking for a decent non reworked Gew98 for a while now and while it is not in the best of condition, it's not the worst one i have ever seen either.

What I like about it is that nearly all the numbers match including the screws. The bolt looks like it was renumbered but the font used for the numbers is the same as the font used on the receiver and elsewhere on the rifle. I figure it was done either during the war or shortly after. It is not import marked.

These seem to be getting harder to find that haven't been rebuilt/refinished or sent to Turkey.

IMG_5752-L.jpg

IMG_5765-L.jpg

IMG_5773-L.jpg

IMG_5758-L.jpg

The bolt looks like it was renumbered. The bolt shroud has a different number but the firing pin matches.
IMG_5756-L.jpg

Imperial proof under the bolt handle.
IMG_5777-M.jpg

These seem to be getting harder to find that haven't been rebuilt/refinished or sent to Turkey.

Bubba is relentless, and faster acting than rust.

They are not making any more like that, for sure.

An original (non-sporterized) IS getting a lot harder to find, AND the price is rising pretty fast. My boss just bought a cherry one and paid over a grand for it.

I have one without a stock but with matching numbers throughout the barreled action. If anyone can direct me to a stock, I would be grateful. highpower3006 is correct, these things are getting rare.

Bill Jacobs

Back