WW2 S&S 38 Special

I am in possession of a Smith and Wesson Springfield, SN 328821 - .38 Special.
On the left side of the pistol is stamped the following - VT. CD - It has the original wooden handles and the lanyard attachment in the handle. Can anyone enlighten me as to the manufacturing date and the estimated value of this pistol? It has been in my family for decades and appears to have no bluing or any type of finish. For lack of a better term - it is a mucky looking steel that appears unfinished but resistant to rust. I would appreciate any help. Can anyone shed some light on this pistol?

Attachments

• Pistol.jpg
    Pistol.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 119
My guess would be that the VT CD was Vermont Civil Defense. Do you live in VT?

I have a M&P of that era that does have the V prefix, but the serial number range was for civilian contractors, and not issued to the military. I believe it dated to 1941.

Try over at the S&W forum, or do a search for M&P serial numbers on the web. Thats where I found mine, I just dont remember where it was though.

You can try and wade through here.....

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/223676-victory-data-base.html

Might find a gun in your serial number range that will ive you an approximate date range.

If I come across that page I found before that lists things, Ill post it up. They are out there, just have to look.

The finish on your gun is parkerizing, which is a typical military type finish. The military guns tend not to have the nice finishing and finial finish. You can often see machine marks in the metal.

Looks like a nice version of an M&P/Victory. The "V" in the serial number indicates its a "Victory" model.

Serial number 328xxx would date the gun to the early 1920’s. Serial number V328xxx would date it between 1942 to 1944.
The V prefix (for Victory) was used from 1942 to 1944 (V1 thru V769000). The SV prefix from late 44 to 45.

If the gun was reimported back into the U.S. then VT. CD would likely be the importer mark for Classic Distributors based in Swanton Vermont back then.

Jim

Last edited:
Like azretired says, that "mucky looking steel" is finished with phosphating. AKA Manganese based Parkerizing. Cost less to do than bluing.
Vermont Civil Defense is entirely possible.

Back