WW II Navy issue Knives

MO

Recently acquired my grandfather's knife he was issued in the US Navy between 1942 and 1945. I know very little about knives and thought I would share its attributes with ya'll and see if there was anything unique about this knife. It is in the original sheath which is made of what feels to be some type of fiberglass / plastic with the belt loop of regular OD webbing. The front of the sheath is stamped:

USN MK 2

The rear of the sheath is stamped:

NORD - 4723
B.M. Co. (subscript 6 with a line over it) -- V (with a star under it) P

Where the handguard meets the blade is stamped:
USN MARK 2
Camillus NY

Anything you fellers might know about this knife would be appreciated.

Sheath has a value of about $15.00, depending on condition. I can't help you with the stamping.
Lots of varitations with these types of knives. Most guards are bent on both sides. Some are not. First version of the Mark II has a threaded tang. Later issues had a pinned or riveted butt. The former having a little more value. Some have the markings on the ricasso, others on the guard. Higher value going to the ricasso marking. (unsharpened area of blade).
Worth anywhere between $60 and $100, condition really determining the value. Any sharpening of the blade really kills the value. Though I think the fact that it was your grandfathers means more to ya than what it's worth. Enjoy the knife. It's definitely a nice item to pass on down the line.

Variously made by Kabar and Camillus, probably others too. I'd druther have a Kabar, myself. Had one, too, but lost it. Sheath and webbing on mine was Navy gray.

Some guy bought a crate sight unseen at a Long Beach Naval Shipyard auction. Got it home and opened it - several hundred Navy issue Kabars, still in cosmoline. He sold them at the next few S. Cali guns shows for $20. That's where I got mine. This was back in '79 or so. Siince that hoard was exhausted, prices have gone back up.

Enjoy grandpa's knife - it's probably a good one.

Excellant knife. I like the old ones better than the later ones. The real late ones with the powdercoat finish really turn me off. Finish chips. Old ones you could drive the point through the head of a 55 gal drum, then use hammer to drive knive around and cut the drum head out. New ones, hit em and they chip.

Sam

hang on

Don't get rid of it....the demand for "war" knives continues to drive upward.....particularly if there is some sort of provenance that attachs the knife to a person and that person's military experience during wartime...

Some of these "documented" knives go for thousands of dollars...not suggesting this one would....

go to www.bladeforums.com and there are forums where you could ask the same question...

Does it look like the one on the top in this picture?

standard.jpg

Back