WW 2 German wood bullets

Germany used wood bullets for training and for grenade launching. What type of wood?

(I should have asked this question years ago).

I am unaware of any wooden bullet ammo used by Germany in WWII, but it is possible.

I know the Swedes made extensive use of wood bullet training ammo. The threads often found at the muzzles of Swede rifles were for attaching a device that would splinter/shred the wood bullets.

I know the Dutch used wood bullets as training rounds for their 6.5mm rifles, I have a few, the bullet is painted purple for easy ID.

The German WWII training rounds I have seen are brass or steel, one piece, with flutes impressed into the cases for ID.

IF the Germans used wooden bullets, they would most likely have been something cheap and readily available and not in demand for other things, so likely birch or beech though many other woods are possible.

Post on THR said Alder.

Corrected. I once worked on an experimental program that used Aspen, guess it stuck in my head.

Last edited:
I've never heard what kind of wood it was, but there do appear to be credible reports of wooden bullets sometimes being used in place of normal ammunition by the Germans in WW2.

The original purpose of the wooden bullets was for training, and, some sources suggest perhaps for operating rifle grenade launchers.

There were, of course, rumors/concerns that they were intended to cause unnecessary suffering but in all likelihood they were probably not especially effective except, perhaps at very close range.

German wooden bullets

The rumor that they were meant for unusual wounding was started when many were found early in the battle for Normandy. Many German units were not frontline troops and were issued these for training. The invasion was not expected in Normandy so troops were stationed there partly for training. I am not sure what wood was used. I will check my reference books.

Last edited:
With the exception of the Dieppe raid (19 Aug 1942) between June of 1940 when the Germans captured northern France and June 1944 when the D-Day invasion took place there was essentially no ground combat on the channel front. Combat was in the air or from the air to the ground, and some naval skirmishes with the notable exception of the "Channel Dash" (11 Feb 1942).

Very few of the experienced front line troops defended the coast, their experience and skills were needed elsewhere.

Even on the eve of the invasion few front line troops were defending the beaches, the bulk of them were being held further inland (safe from naval gunfire) the idea being they would be moved to the beaches when it was clear exactly where the landings were taking place.

For numerous reasons (including Allied air superiority) that didn't work as well as the Germans had hoped it would.

Quite a bit of the wooden bullet training ammo was found in German bunkers as the Allies landed and moved inland, and its likely at least a few round of that stuff was fired at the Allies, but that wasn't what it was there for.

The idea that the Germans made wooden bullets to cause greater wounds was just a made up rumor, something that sound plausible (though inaccurate) to explain why it was there, and in the process further vilify the enemy for their cruel and wicked ammo.

I do not know if the Japanese used any wooden bullet training ammo, or not, but have heard numerous stories about Japanese "Bamboo bullet". Never saw any proof they existed, but lots of GI were convinced they were a real thing.

It is remotely possible that some Dutch wooden bullet training ammo was captured by the Japanese when they took Java and the rest of the Dutch East Indies, and that stuff (in Japanese hands) MIGHT have been the origin of the "Bamboo bullet" stories, no one can say for sure.

I have been through "D-Day Through German Eyes," both volumes, and haven't seen anything on wooden bullets, but it has been a couple of years since I last spent time with the works. They are very interesting and give unique insight into the perspectives of the soldiers at the time. Author is Holger Eckhertz.

Most likely spruce or pine.

Both are soft woods and they account for nearly 50% of the tree cover in Germany, likely even a higher percentage during World War II.

Back