WV SB84 proposed to exempt WV made firearms from fed regulation

stantonizm

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_S...illdoc=sb84 intr.htm&yr=2011&sesstype=RS&i=84

I though this was interesting. The bill, if passed, would exempt firearms or accessories manufactured in the state from federal regulation. They must have no major parts imported from other states. They would not be eligible to transport outside the state though and must be stamped "Made in WV." Are there any other states with laws like this? What usually happens if you manufacture your own firearm?

MT enacted a comparable law in 2009. It has not yet been seriously contested in federal court, and if it does, it's not at all clear whether it will remain standing. Time will tell.

So does WV have a firearms industry? Is the population base in WV enough to support making guns? Even a specialty gunsmith needs a market base.

Could the feds stop the import of materials needed to make a firearm?

So does WV have a firearms industry? Is the population base in WV enough to support making guns?

Not Likely..

NOpe

Thats what I had thought when I first read it.... What Firearm Industry do we have here??? Maybe some secret company had been operating below my radar all this time.:cool:

If there is any effect -- however small -- traceable to interstate commerce, the current Feds will seize upon it to inject their control.
Which is why the RealID act was such a smashing success and implemented in record time.;) Which is also why the medical marijuana movement was totally crushed in California.:rolleyes:

State Nullification is coming back and it will be interesting to see what happens as more and more states do to Federal gun laws what they did to the RealID act and what they are doing to Federal drug laws.

The realID and marijuana initiatives were liberal hot buttons ('against' and 'for', respectively.) :barf:

Hammering a states-rights gun manufacturing initiative into the ground using the IC clause is would be red meat to the radical left. Holder would file suit ASAP. :mad:

The realID and marijuana initiatives were liberal hot buttons ('against' and 'for', respectively.)
No offense, but most of my conservative friends are against the drug war as well as the RealID act. Neither of those is a left or right issue. Farming hemp is effectively legalized in North Dakota and that was passed by both parties in the state government. The state is getting impatient with the DEA and might very well tell the DEA to go do something very uncomfortable, as California has, and give the farmers the go ahead to start growing.

Hammering a states-rights gun manufacturing initiative into the ground using the IC clause is would be red meat to the radical left. Holder would file suit ASAP.
California is giving the Federal government the double middle finger with their marijuana laws and look at what the Federal government has done about it: Bluster and talk, but hardly an inch of action. Chances are very good that it will be legalized across the board in CA next election. The drug war is a far bigger issue than gun laws and as the trend in state nullification picks up the Federal government is going to be in a real bind. They have too many balls in the air and the only question is how fast or slow things move forward..

Let us see what happens, Crosshair. If WV proceeds/succeeds w/o Federal interference, I owe you a bottle of your favorite adult beverage.
Thanks, but I stopped drinking when I turned 21.:p Though I do partake occasionally.

I think the idea of states rights is taking off, slowly right now, but it will pick up. Very few people see the biggest threats today coming from the statehouse. The real history of states rights is starting to re-emerge. It will be interesting to see how the future pans out.

It's nothing new. Montanta started this fad Oct 1, 2009. This sort of thing is generally known as the Firearms Freedom Act.

Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, Alaska, Tennessee, South Dakota, and Utah all have passed similar legislation.

I'd like to see this take off more if nothing else but as a rout to the dismantling of the freeze of the MG registry. You're never gonna get common usage with such a limited number of examples. If states started allowing people to buy select-fire guns that are "state specific" the tide might turn on them some in 10-20 years.

Back