WTK: Zero a variable scope

I always zero mine at the highest setting. I figure that's the power I'll use if I'm doing any precision shooting.

In some scopes, the point of impact can change slightly as the power is adjusted. If the change happens as the power goes down, the amount of movement relative to the area the crosshairs appear to cover is less. I have never personally owned a scope in which the movement was even noticeable.

Mikey

Also, using the higher magnification will help reduce any sighting error by zooming in and reducing the MOA of the reticle itself.

At least that's what I've heard.

------------------
Ron

Detroit Area Chapter
Terra-Haute Torque & Recoil Society

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>zooming in and reducing the MOA of the reticle itself.[/quote]

That all depends on which lens the reticle is set in. Some scopes the reticle will increase in size as the power is turned up. There are benefits to this though they seem to have elluded most. But that is another discussion.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited January 22, 2000).]

There are differences between 1st focal plane reticules and second focal plane reticule scopes. Zoom your scope through the range If the cross hair gets larger at high power then you have a front focal plane reticule and it makes no difference what power you zero it at. If it stays the same then you have a second focal plane reticule and it should be zeroed at the power you intend to use it. Reason being that the point of impact can shift when you zoom if the reticule is not perfectly centered in the light path. (which it is seldom) This is not normally a large problem as the shift is not all that great and would be hard to determine whether it was from that or shooter error but don't go to a turkey shoot and shoot it at a power it isn't zeroed at as you will probably loose.

That's why I'm addicted to this damn forum.

It'll start to cause problems with my marriage anytime. I can't stay away.

Mr. McMillan, I must meet you some day.

------------------
Sensop

"Put the spirit at center and the body will find it." - Shino Takazawa, sinsei, hachi dan, Keishinkan do.
(Get your mind right and the body will follow.)
Sensop's Corner

Back