WTK: Which sling model was included with HK91 packages?

yahamshari

Hello.

My 1979 HK91 A-2 and A-3 rifles came with 2-point Bundeswehr brown leather slings (MPN 2-10232 / 200574). Did any of the HK91 rifles that were imported into the U.S. in the 1980s come with either a standard 2-point green web sling (MPN 2-10228) or a multi-purpose 3-point web sling (MPN 2-10230 / 205501) intended for high port arms car?

This RFI is cross-listed on HKPRO, HK ProShop, Sturmgewehr, Carolina Shooters Club, Carolina Firearms Forum, M14 Forum, and the CMP.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mine had the green canvas sling, it allowed you to sling it on one shoulder, wear it biathlon style or at hip level with one part over your shoulders for support.

Update - I found out from a fellow HK enthusiast that 1979 HK91s came with 2-point Bundeswehr brown leather slings. The 2-point green web sling began in 1980 and continued till 1989.

Last edited:
Some active in law enforcement and the military believe that a sling needs to be more than a shoulder-carry attachment, which is why they replace factory brown leather and standard green web sling with a 2-point tactical sling that can be adjusted and used in several configurations.

Although the pictured Estonian solider in Mali, Africa (Nov. 2021) is shown resting his HK G3 rifle on his chest rig in the direction of a left handed shooter, there are several indicators that he is a right-handed shooter, e.g., watch on his left wrist, radio on the right side of his chest rig, and the direction of the radio speaker/mic where he can press and talk using his left hand.

Mine had the green canvas sling, it allowed you to sling it on one shoulder, wear it biathlon style or at hip level with one part over your shoulders for support.

This was the sling that came with mine when I bought it (used) in the early 80s.

It's possible that some HK91 rifles imported into the U.S. in the 1980s may have come with either a standard 2-point green web sling (MPN 2-10228) or a multi-purpose 3-point web sling (MPN 2-10230 / 205501) intended for high port arms carry. However, without specific documentation or records from the importer or manufacturer, it's challenging to confirm whether these slings were included with certain batches or models of HK91 rifles imported into the U.S. during that time period. Collectors and enthusiasts may have anecdotal evidence or personal experiences regarding the slings that were included with imported HK91 rifles, but definitive information may be difficult to ascertain. Cross-referencing with historical catalogs, advertisements, or importation records may provide further insights into the types of slings that were commonly supplied with imported HK91 rifles in the 1980s.

Back