WTK: Value of Dan Wesson .357??

Wedge

I have a lead on a Dan Wesson 357 magnum made prior to 1991. The gun has a fitted case and comes with a 2,4, and 6 inch barrel and extra grips. Supposedly it is in 90%+ shape... what it is something like this worth? Are they any good?

Serg

What you are looking at

is called a Pistol Pack. They were available in either Vent rib or Vent Heavy (full underlug) styles. Usually they come with a 8" barrel assembly also, so you might want to ask about that as well. I really don't see that many Pistol Packs coming up for sale these days, so I really can't give you a going price. The last one I saw (with all four barrels) had an asking price of $650, but that was over a year ago.

I bought my DW as a 8" Vent rib gun, still with its original box/patch/tool/feeler gauge. I sold off the original factory oversize target grip (it was waaaay too big for my hands) and put on a Pachmayr Gripper (finger grooved rubber grip). I have since purchased a 6"VH and a 4"VH barrel assemblies for it.

DWs are great guns, and used to dominate the Silhouette competitions. They are known for their excellent accuracy.

Thanks

Thanks Cougar.... however found listed that the model 14 came with 3 barrels and not 4 like you mentioned. All the ones I have found on the on-line gun auctions were with 4 barrels and were model 14's. Now this alone does not mean this supposed Model 14 is rare, but less common than the 15 for sure...

I am gonna go look at it soon.

Serg

Hmmmmmm... About a year ago I picked up a `backup' model 15 Pistol pack for a bit over $450 w/tax. Dunno just *why* I thought I `needed?' another but I apparently did. {BSE GRIN!} Now I'm looking for a `backup' for my .22... DWs are addictive! {CHORTLE!} Now... Depending upon where you are thinking of getting yours, I picked mine up through a local gunshop and am fairly friendly with the owner and have probably paid for a couple new vehicles for him over the years, I'd figure that somewhere between $550 and $650 would be pretty much spot on if it's actually 90%+.

A Model 15 with three barrels and the original wooden case should bring between $450 and $550 if all parts are there and in really pristine condition.
Be sure to check the threads on the barrels. Some are unknowingly damaged through the years by being allowed to bang up against other barrels and shrouds.
By all means if its in good shape grab it. Dan's are great shooters. They tend to spoil you for anything else.
Take Care

Thanks!

I am gonna go look at it this weekend.. will let you guys know... appreciate all the info!

Serg

Welcome to the club?

I bought my Stainless VR Piston Pack back around 1986. It came with 4 barrels, but IIRC, I've seen pictures of other variations that may only contain 3 barrels. Still have it, still love it.

Back