WTK: good ranging scope for .270

Michael64

Looking for a good quality scope, something around the 3-9x44 range for a Remington Sendero in .270. Like the Springfield Armory Government models but they seem to be designed for either .223 or .308. What else is out there?

I believe the SA Govt Model has a MilDot. Mil dots can be used with any caliber.

The best IMO is a Leupold Mark 4 M1 w/MilDot reticle. It just "happens" that mine sits atop a .308. ;)

Only "problem" with the Mark 4 is that it is a fixed power (10x or 16x). If you want a variable then go with the Springfield w/mildot. It has the mils on the correct focal plane for a variable (the size of the dots change with power change (but still subtend correctly)

And the great thing about MilDots is that not only can you range with them but they can be used for hold overs/unders, leads, wind drift, etc.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited January 02, 2000).]

I have another question, Gunny. When you specify Springfield as far as variable mil-dot scopes go, are you inferring that scopes such as Leupold and Burris' Black Diamond do not maintain the correct focal plane or subtend the correct angle? I also have an interest in a variable mil-dot scope.

(I apologize for the run-on sentence. Do not attempt to diagram this sentence on the chalkboard).

------------------
Hoka-hey

SOD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I apologize for the run-on sentence. Do not attempt to diagram this sentence on the chalkboard[/quote]

Your talking to the wrong individual if you want any english language things done. :0

OK, a mildot subtends 3.6" @ 100 yards. Unless Leupold (Burris I have no experience with) has changed the lens they put the reticle on in their variable there is a problem. Let me try and explian.

As you increase the power setting on the scope Leupold's MilDots stay the same size... that is because they are on a differnt lens. Leupold states that for their variables to range correctly they need to be on a certain power. Now, it is easy to figure out that if I go from 3x and then increase to 9x without a change in the size of the MilDots they will subtend incorrectly. (i.e. the MilDots remain at one size, as viewed through the scope, no matter what the power setting)

Springfields scopes have the MilDot on the correct lense. When you increase/decrease the power setting the MilDots get bigger/smaller in relation to what you are seeing through the scope. If I'm @ 9x I'm seeing the target closer and the MilDot will look of course to cover more of the target... when in fact they are just subtending 3.6" (@ 100 yds) you are just looking at it closer)

It is farly disconcerting as most variables the reticle size does not change with the power setting. However, if you are useing the reticle to range with (any reticle but especially MilDots), and the scope is a variable, the reticle size needs to change with the power setting.

Hope I explained this correctly

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

Oh forget the dots, and the Leupold Tacticals and the Shepards, and all the rest. Swarovski makes a great Laser Rangefinding scope in 3-12x50 for a mere $4500.00. On second thought, maybe MilDots aren't all that confusing.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>. Swarovski makes a great Laser Rangefinding scope in 3-12x50 for a mere $4500.00[/quote]

Lets see....

Laser Rangefinder = batteries, weight, $4500.

MilDot = $90 (or so for the reticle... installed)

Hmmmmmmmmm?!? ;)

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

Thanks for the reply, Gunny. A clear explanation, I must say. And an economics lesson free of charge. I love this forum.

------------------
Hoka-hey

Back