Wrists and hearing is overrated anyways....

Miami_JBT

Buddy "lent" it to me. By "lent", it really is just an extended payment plan like Rent-A-Center. You take possession of it, and just pay it off. :D

20240707_141346_jpg-3260847.JPG

A factory quad-ported, pre-lock Model 629-5 Mountain Gun in .44 Magnum.

My buddy is a fan of .44 Magnum, but he told me that the Moutain Gun is too much gun even for him. Well, I'm stupid, so I figured what the heck. I'll give this blaster a new home. Been wanting a 4" .44 Mag as a carry piece and the Moutain Gun is just right. Especially since I'll basically pull an Inspector Harry Callahan and shoot .44 Specials out of it.

I like the Mountain Gun since I basically see it as a Model 624 that can safely chamber and shoot .44 Magnum.

Good looking revovler.

I've got a 2 3/4" model 69 and I don't shoot full power loads in it either. Fortunately, the .44 Magnum is very versatile and my hand loads with a 240 grain lswc at 1000 aren't too bad.

I really like the 629 but as we age the 44 special is much more forgiving and still a viable threat. Years ago I picked up Lew Hortons in both the 629 and 624 at the same time. Twenty five years later the 624 has had three times the ammunition fired from it.

mid-range

The big bore Mtn Guns are practical large frame revolvers that carry about like an L-frame. I've had one for years and they are a handful in .44 with full house loads. But a 240-250 gr LSWC slug, or a slightly heavier number running about 1000 fps, , will do a lot of what we want a big bore revolver to do, without as much fuss.

I'm not sure if anybody sells such a load commercially, but they are easily assembled by a handloader.

No point in owning a 44 mag unless you exploit the inherent advantage of producing huge fireballs out the end at night.:D Be real interesting with the porting on that one. Looks like they're angled to counteract muzzle lift.

255gr cast bullet with around 10-11grs Unique will knock the fart out of most things it comes in contact with and be much nicer than full on loads.
Tapered barrel N frames are sweet, nice gun!

No point in owning a 44 mag unless you exploit the inherent advantage of producing huge fireballs out the end at night.:D Be real interesting with the porting on that one. Looks like they're angled to counteract muzzle lift.
Sounds like a job for Power Pistol, or for a serious fireball try a 22TCM.

A few decades back

Once upon a time Remington introduced a bolt action pistol. The caliber? .221 fireball is what I recall it's official name being.
I don't think I am misremembering that one:)
No doubt the marketing department had an evening range session.

Congrats, great gun, and no Hillary hole, yeah! The porting should help. A Colt SAA clone in 44 Magnum is one of the wickedest recoiling 44 mags around. This one has a better grip shape at least. I load reduced 44 mags, 240 grain, 900 - 1000 fps, for a 3 screw Blackhawk and the above mentioned SAA, but will probably be shooting them in my N frame Smith’s too. Just don’t need the horsepower as I get older. That doesn’t apply to cars or motorcycles yet though.

Hi all! I came by here while researching for a big bore carry revolver and the hillary hole comment conjured a thought. A 2.5-3in L frame 5rd wheeler in a shortened 480 Ruger based cartridge. We’ll call it, oh I don’t know, .47 MAGA! Sorry, that just hit me and I had to get it out.

That Arthur guy, hate his guts!!!

That would be Arthur itis. The older I get, the less I enjoy the big boomers. I'm burning less powder these days and enjoying small diameter bullets moving quickly.
The beauty of our firearms passion is it's flexibility.

I have an S&W M25-13 Mountain Gun in .45LC (with HH plugged).
One of my favorite revolvers, it sleeps on the nightstand close to me.
Since I handload, I can make some ammo from mild to (relatively) wild.
And save the factory stuff for nightstand duty.

Love me some N-frame goodness. :)

Yah, it would maybe be more of a niche gun. Probably not a daily shooter but the marketing would be simple and I would buy the first consecutive pair.

Back