Would you use a new safety product?

cknights

Inactive
I am trying to develop a new hunting safety product. I would appreciate any suggestions and answers to the following questions if it isn't too much trouble.

1. Do you know anybody who has been involved in a firearms accident?

2. Have you ever sighted in on a person or domestic animal thinking that they were a game animal?

3. Regardless of your answer to the last question, would you be willing to have a device on your rifle that would warn you if a person or domestic animal was in your line of fire?

4. What type of warning would you accept? (light, sound, disabling of firearm, etc.)

5. Would you feel safer wearing a small device while hunting/hiking that would set off a warning on the rifles of other hunters if they were to sight in on you?

Thanks for taking the time. If you have any further suggestions or questions, please post or email me.

cknights:

Good idea but it avoids the real problem. From what you are describing, it sounds as if you're trying to develop something that will help hunters avoid shooting other hunters or domestic farm animals.

The real problem is education. When stationed in Germany in the mid to late 1980s, I discovered that Hans did not walk into the local K-Mart, buy a 30-30, ammo, license, etc and stoll into the woods the same day. Germans were required to take almost two years of course study, shooting classes, and spend a couple of weeks a year working in the woods with game wardens in winter feed programs, constructing high seats, counting herds, etc. Bottom line, after the training (which included tremendous emphasis on hunter safety) hunting accidents in Germany were extremely rare.

I'm not suggesting an identical program over here...it's just that the programs we have developed in the US do not always place enough emphasis on safety, game ID, etc. That is the key, IMHO, not some high tech device designed to do what the hunter's eyes and brain should do.

Oh, my answer to your first three questions is no.

Mike

1) Yes
2) No
3) No
4) Optic recognition of my target
5) No
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Rule IV: Be Sure of Your Target[/quote]
While I'm all in favor of redundancy, too often it ends up replacing real safety. I'd prefer to have someone learn, internalize and practice Rule 4 than depend on a battery operated warning system.
Rich

Same question has been posted in the Smithy Forum. My basic response is there is no substitution for situational awareness. Gadgets don't replace responsibility.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I don't see this working unless everyone were required to wear the safety device. Even then, it would not be foolproof. If your gun does not signal you, that doesn't mean that it is safe to shoot. You still have to be just as sure of your target as if you didn't have the safety device.

The government tries to legislate its use. Guns become more expensive, because they need the new device. Hunters become lazy about their targets because the device signals them if they aim at a person. I don't see it solving any problems.

Just wear the orange jacket and watch where you are pointing your muzzel. The three basic rules of hunter safety are,

1-Watch where you have your muzzel pointed.
2-Watch where you have your f---ing muzzel pointed.
3-Watch where the f--- you have your f---ing muzzel pointed.

Does it get any simpler than that?

Rich:

In your safety quote it should be...

Rule IV: Be Sure of Your Target... and what is beyond.

My answer to the questions....

1. Yes, Me... Shot myself..

2. No.

3. No... If I ever point a gun at another person or a domestic animal.. I should not be out there with a gun... period.

4. No.

5. No.

This is timely as I just completed my 12 hour hunters safety course on saturday. This is the second time that I have taken it. First was when I was 11. Why did I take it again at age 48? Several reasons.... One is my wife wants to go hunting this year and had to take it in order to get her license and I was supporting her by going. Another reason is I felt that after twenty odd years it would not hurt as one can never be to safe with firearms. And the third is that I am considering becoming a hunters safety instructor. Seems through the gun club this year we had over 400 kids sign up for hunter's safety and we could only put 50 through the course before hunting season. If our RKBA's is going to have any chance of survival, we must encourage the younger generations to get involved in the shooting sports. After the course I have deceided to go for it and have signed up to become an instructor.

OK... I know everone is curious as to how I did on the test... was 100 questions... I missed four. Two of the missed ones were just plain stupidity on my part as I had picked out the correct answer and had marked the wrong letter on the answer sheet for them. One question I did not know and the last one well I just could not believe the correct answer...

The question was a true or false... "When hunting on private land where you have permission from the owner, you must carry with you written permission from the owner at all times".

True or False.

Well.. I'm going to open a thread on this one and give everyone here a chance to answer it... See under title "Question from hunters safety course"

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

Back