Would you shoot mint 45 auto Remington-Rand?

jmiles

Inactive
I have 45 auto Remington-Rand in near mint condition; hardly a scratch or scrape anywhere. Of all my guns, it's probably the one I enjoy shooting the most and I don't shoot very often.

A local dealer recently told me I was "nuts" to even shoot it due to the gun's value and heritage. I have always figured these 45's were easy to get parts for and my casual shooting would have no effect on the gun's value.

Any comments from the gallery would be appreciated.

-Jim

I don't own a gun I wouldn't shoot.
I have guns that I shoot less than others in order to keep them in good condition. One is a Polished Stainless Colt .45 that was given to me when I commissioned as a 2LT. It gets kept in a glass case on my mantel. I have even fired the Origie 7.65 squeeze cocker that my grandfather pulled off a dead German officer in WWII, but I don't fire it often.

If the gun is not a showpiece and you do not plan on selling it, I say "Shoot Away!"
That is really the kicker, If you ever plan on selling the gun that is the only time it will matter.

I agree with Rob; judicious shooting of your WWII 1911-A1 is not going to hurt it.

I would certainly change all the springs in it, including the mainspring, and especially the recoil, magazine, and firing pin springs.

This will protect the gun from battering, and the firing pin spring (extra power) will give an additional margin of safety against accidental discharges.

I would also put a recoil buffer in place over the recoil spring guide before the recoil spring goes on. This also helps reduce battering, by giving the slide something soft to come to rest on in full recoil. They only cost a few bucks per half dozen. The harder ones come from Red Bluff and Dillon, soft (for target loads) from Wilson.

Enjoy shooting it; after a detail strip and clean and new spring and recoil buffer installation. Walt Welch NRA Life Member

Back