Would you shoot it?

Let's say you had a very old unfired handgun. Would you leave it that way or shoot it?

Maybe buy another in worse condition to actually shoot? Does it make sense to preserve a historical gun?

It's only unfired until you fire the first shot.

If I were to pay the price of buying an unfired collector's piece, I certainly would not fire it.

If it’s a truly collectible with good value I’d sell it to someone else so it could collect dust in their safe. Then I’d go buy as many guns that I could use with the money. To me guns are made to be used, not just looked at. That’s not to say I don’t admire certain guns for their particular look or design, a nice Model 27 comes to mind as a good example.

I have a couple of guns that belonged to either my Father or Grandfather. I don't shoot them for various reasons. I keep them for sentimental reasons and see nothing wrong with that. Also, if I were lucky enough to own an older gun like a WWII 1911 or maybe an early model Colt SAA, I would have no issues with not shooing them.

Is it a true collector's piece? How old? I shoot everything I have, but then I've never owned a true unfired classic. But a partial example of what you propose: I have two Colt Army Specials in 41 Long Colt. One is a beautiful (but not unfired) 1914 example with a Colt letter and that classic Colt blue. The other is a mechanically sound but "run hard and put away wet" 1920. I play with that one. I do fire the 1914, but rarely.

Completely your call. Of course, there are some pistols you could trade for a new Corvette.

If you’re thinking seriously about selling, don’t shoot it.

If you really like it and plan on keeping it by all means shoot it.
If you don’t abuse it, it will still be a valued heirloom.
You can’t take it with you and life is too short.

If you are referring to the old 1910-1920 38 S&W top break you posted earlier, if you believe it is truly unfired I would not fire it. If you have never fired a 38 S&W cartridge I fear it would leave you disappointed anyway. There are some things that are better kept just for looking, once you fire them it will never be unfired again and an old S&W will continue to gain in value unfired as time goes by.

A friend got a Deal on a very nice, allegedly unfired gun.
I predict he will not fire it but will look for a used one to shoot.

All modern guns are fired at the factory.

Yes, but factory test firing is not considered the same as the gun being fired after that. It is similar to ownership, in that a gun is "new" until the first time it is sold to a person, after that, it is never "new" again.

The gun can be validly described "as new in the box" or "Like new in the box" but it is not "new in the box" if it was sold to a private owner.

Sure, its a matter of terms, but those are the conventions in current use. Unfired means not fired after leaving the factory. New means never sold to a private person.

An old gun that looks new, may never have been fired, but unless you know (and can document) the history of the gun from the day it was first sold, you cannot prove the gun is unfired. All you can say with certainty is it LOOKS unfired, and every gun takes some amount of firing before visible signs of firing exist. Finish wear on moving parts is generally the first sign, but it is possible to create that wear without firing, if the action is worked enough times.

There was a fellow on here a while back who was most upset, because he had purchased an "unfired and unturned" collector's piece revolver. The photos supported the description. The gun was shipped to his dealer, but he wasn't able to pick it up for several days. When he did get to pick it up, there was a turn ring in the cylinder finish. Turned out the seller had shipped the gun in the condition described (and paid for!) but in the time between the FFL receiving it, and the buyer being able to pick it up, some of the "countermonkeys" in the shop had played with it, cycling the action enough to wear a turn ring in the cylinder bluing, destroying the collector value as the gun's finish was no longer pristine.

I don't recall how that was resolved, but I believe the shop owner was responsible for damaging the gun's value.

Point here is that visible signs of use happen if the action is worked enough, but rarely appear right away, so a gun could have been fired a few times, and still appear unfired. And if played with enough a gun could appear to have been fired when it actually never was.

If someone claims a gun is unfired, and puts a $ on that, they best be able to prove it. If they claim the gun appears to be unfired, and put a $ on that, then its up to you to decide if its worth the money.

If you get an old gun in like new condition, and plan to sell it at some point, firing it (or just working the action) enough to leave visible evidence WILL reduce what people are willing to pay for it.

If that doesn't matter to you, shoot it and enjoy it. IF it does matter, don't shoot it.

If you are referring to the old 1910-1920 38 S&W top break you posted earlier,

I actually have two guns in this category now. That pistol you mentioned and a Colt 1862 Pocket Police. In the case of the Colt, I bought it to shoot but it was just too pretty and perfect so I bought an Uberti that I shoot a lot.

I intended to shoot the S&W but after taking close up bore pics with the bore scope and seeing no lead or powder residue at all I'm having second thoughts on putting rounds through it. There aren't that may Perfected models to being with. Finding one like this is one in a million.

I actually have two guns in this category now. That pistol you mentioned and a Colt 1862 Pocket Police. In the case of the Colt, I bought it to shoot but it was just too pretty and perfect so I bought an Uberti that I shoot a lot.

I intended to shoot the S&W but after taking close up bore pics with the bore scope and seeing no lead or powder residue at all I'm having second thoughts on putting rounds through it. There aren't that may Perfected models to being with. Finding one like this is one in a million.

I fully understand. I have some guns that for one reason or another I have never fired them.

Here is a classic example of no need to shoot it. It's a 100% matching right down to the magazine 1937 Luger. It was taken from a surrender pile at the end of the war near the Gothic Line in Italy by E5 Rufus Arnold. I have capture paperwork, customs forms, newspapers his parents saved for him while he was away. photos of him and the complete history of his unit from Ft Grubber Oklahoma to North Africa and then to Italy. The gun is in excellent condition and I'm sure it shoots fine, but I see no reason to have to shoot it. As far as I know the last time it was fired was during the war.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0001331 (2).jpg
    0001331 (2).jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 384
I don't care how old it it is or what it's worth if it's mine I'm going to shoot it. I couldn't stand not shooting it.

Bill isn't wrong often, but he's wrong. Not all guns are fired at the factory. All quality guns are fired at the factiory. European guns are even "proofed"... which is an elaborate inspection by the proofing agency which is NOT the factory.

Old. It's funny what people think "old" is. I think "before 1900" is old. Before smokeless powder.

It's also funny what people think of as collectible. Nice to admire vs. stored with the intent to sell much later for a profit. Nice fun coin collection vs. paying $18,000 for a ten dollar gold piece.

Inspect carefully, load quality ammo and have fun.

I don't care how old it it is or what it's worth if it's mine I'm going to shoot it. I couldn't stand not shooting it.
+1
When you die are you going to say, "Boy I'm glad I never shot it", or are you going to say, "Darn wish I would have shot it."
In the end it makes no difference, you'll be gone and the gun will move on. Life is too short not to enjoy what you have now.
Go shoot your guns, kiss your wife, hug your kids, pet your dog some day you won't be able to.

I don't understand the theory that you must shoot a gun to enjoy it. To me that logic makes no sense at all when the enjoyment to me is the weeks and months it can take to track the history of a piece that you acquire from either the veteran or the family of the veteran. However a question to those of you that shoot everything no matter the age or significance of a gun. Let's say you have a dozen or more of the same basic gun. Do you still feel the need to shoot everyone of them so you can say you enjoyed them?

P35p, I don't disagree in general. There is certainly a place for very special firearms to be held and maintained. But for my collection, I would leave such a gun to someone else. In fact, I've sold a few that seemed to be in that category (after I've put a few rounds through them). I'm with Hawg on this. "Keep 'em shootin'" is my way of honoring these old weapons.

Back