• No

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • It depends

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If your a bad cop , you get nothing .
If your a good cop you get everthing .
If you are Sheriff Grady we need to put you in a copy machine until we have enough copies
To run every law enforcement agency in the country only then can we sleep with both eyes closed

If it looks like something I can help with, if I'm sure I know what's going on, and it looks like the officer really needs help (i.e. the impact of not getting help will be grave) and won't get any unless I help, then yes, I would.

If it's beyond my ability to help (e.g. "PIT"ing an F350 in my daily commuter sedan is a non-starter) or if it looks like they have sufficient help already, or if I really can't tell what the situation is, or if it looks like the impact of my not helping is going to be trivial, then I'm going to let them take care of business without my assistance.

Basically, very similar to what I would say in answer to the question: "Would you help a citizen?"

Like assist them or something.

I wouldn’t exactly call that much context.

If the question is would I interject myself into a use of force scenario between law enforcement and someone else, someone who I do not know, the answer is I would almost always prefer to be what can be described as a good witness. That is call 911 or law enforcement directly and relay information to the dispatcher that the officer, in the act of defending himself or herself, is likely unable to relay. Additionally I have some limited medical training and medical equipment on me, and I would consider looking for opportunities to make use of that medical training to perhaps help others who may have been wounded. Absent myself or my family being in the line of fire as a consequence of that situation I would be very reluctant to intervene.

IF a peace officer is under attack
IF I can materially assist in preserving the safety of that officer
IF ... given the circumstances & my capabilities ... I can do so without exposure to obvious and overwhelming danger to myself/my family.....
Then yes.

Just the way I -- and likely most of my generation -- were brought up.
YMMV... it seems these days.

I’ll add one point to my previous. In the many courses I have taken most of the instructors either were in the past or were at the time law enforcement. Almost without exception their advice was to be extremely cautious about involving yourself in other shootings, including law enforcement involved shootings.

If you do get involved in a law enforcement shooting, communication will be paramount. Make sure you’re communicating to the officers on the scene so that they understand you’re there to help and not a separate avenue of attack converging on them. Be very mindful of when a firearm is in your hands after the shooting and how you might be perceived to officers arriving on the scene. Some well intentioned people have been shot by law enforcement when attempting to help. To be fair some people have been very successful and saved officers’ lives. It’s a judgement call and I’m leery of criticizing a person one way or the other.

I would try to help ANYONE but know enough to GTFO of the way of a professional doing a dangerous job, unless help is asked.

Almost without exception their advice was to be extremely cautious about involving yourself in other shootings, including law enforcement involved shootings.
It's hard to overemphasize this.

If you insert yourself into a tense encounter, LE will likely initially assume you are a threat. Undercover cops get shot like this from time to time.

You need to be sure you know what's going on and you need to be sure that the cops understand what you are doing/going.

I saw a police officer trying to push a broken down car in the neighborhood where I live so I pulled over when it was safe to do so and walked over and asked him if he wanted help. He was very appreciative and I helped him push the broken car off the roadway into somewhere safer where the tow truck could get it. He did not ask for my help I volunteered it.

However some situations have stupid written all over them- avoid those at all cost. Police officer pair was talking to my neighbors during a domestic dispute there was lots of screaming yelling emotional dysregulation. Situation like that can quickly become dangerous. I don't want nothing to do with stupid dangerous if I can avoid it in any lawful way I will do my best to do so.
In that case I stayed out of it.

Esp. if you carry a weapon

The VERY FIRST thing to bear in mind. "Things" are not always as they appear to be. From what I hear around the campfire our police approach domestic calls very carefully. Rightfully so. In most cases, I will choose to be a good witness.

I have--several times. That's because I once lived in area with rampant gang violence and people were frequently shot at (my house and myself were as well)--occasionally killed; not because I wanted to be "citizen on patrol."

In my dealings with dangerous unfolding this is what I learned.

1. Do NOT attempt to engage yourself with a situation armed--arriving police will probably not know the difference between the good guy(s) and bad guy(s) and the chances you might yourself be taken out by LEOs is a possibility.

2. DO give the dispatcher as accurate information as you can such as:

time of events

as accurate as possible description of individuals (physical appearance, clothes worn/colors etc). Same for vehicles.

As accurate as possible description of location (street names, houses, buildings etc) and what direction(s) people/vehicles may be moving in.

3. Chances are others may be calling in the same event, it's likely they may have a completely different take on what is going on--especially if bullets are flying. Keep as cool as you can because you will have an adrenaline spike.

100% situational

Helping out a law officer is really broad. Sure if they are struggling pushing a car out of the road, of course. I would not insert myself in to a situation in most cases. I would be a very careful observer with 911 operators on the line. If it appeared the officer was in very deep Kimchi I would likely intervene as a carefully considered last resort.

Yes… always. But I’m also Federal L/E… so…

Now, do I have jurisdiction in local/state stuff? No, but if it’s a felony… I can arrest. I was the first officer (as well as my partner) to arrive on a bank robber a year or so back… completely the right thing to do, but I know other officers that would have kept driving and said they didn’t hear the call.

I’m supposed to do the peace officer class for ME. It isn’t something that I want to do to write tickets, but more to get better versed in ME law (I know NJ law WAY better than ME). We try to help the locals, especially when they are more worked with less pay than us. We also have better technology that they want us to utilize for them… which we do mainly to keep us sharp on the tools.

I’m also in an area where local L/E is spread thin… just the larger town has it (anywhere from 1 to 4 on at any given time). Sheriff does the rest of the county, which is approximately the size of RI and CT combined. Population is approximately 40,000 for the county. Some other local departments, but again in larger towns. County jail and Sheriff office are located here. ME State Police have a barracks, but they are moving just to doing I-95 and major incidents.

Federal… us (CBP), BP and a few HSI. We have a couple US Marshals local. But we are the most concentrated L/E here. BP is behind us, only for the fact that they patrol a decent chunk of the county, so are also spread kind of thin.

Now, if I’m driving in a marked vehicle, and see a traffic stop… I’ll toss the lights on and stop to make sure all is good. That being unless I need to get to a place for a legit reason. If that’s the case, and all looks good… I’ll listen to the radio and make sure nothing happens while I’m nearby. But while they are doing their job, I also have my own responsibilities… to include operating ports of entry that need officers to be present during operational hours.

If they were coming to take my guns under orders - no; if they needed some extra help while they are under attack or injured, yes

Back