Would this conversion need a tax stamp?

C Philip

I saw this photo online and it got me thinking.
mosin-pistol-tm.jpg

If you cut the stock down to a pistol grip before you cut the barrel down, then you would be making a long barreled pistol first. After could you shorten the barrel without any need for a tax stamp?

Is that correct or is this too much of a grey area (or plainly illegal)?

Last edited by a moderator:
A pistol can be made into a rifle, but a rifle can never be made into a pistol.

One must start with a receiver that never has been assembled into a shoulder fired firearm.

Can I stay away from the vicinity when someone touches off a full power 7.62 in that "pistol"? Talk about a blast!

Jim

I have a powerful desire to do this. When I was handling a Mosin, my first thought was "I'm gonna cut this bad boy right in front of this band"

There must be a defective gene floating around that causes people to want to chop Mosins. Ive seen a couple.

I'd pick something other than a bolt action for a start. Dunno if it's typical of not but handled and shot a Mosin at the range a couple weeks ago and the bolt was darn near impossible to work without beating it on the table

Yeah it needs a tax stamp, but you gotta wonder whether you should register it as a sbr or a destructive device.

That thing has got to be dangerous at both ends and all around the middle!
:D

I vote it's a DD!! Would any of you try to shoot this monster?

For the OP: Anything with a BARREL length UNDER 16 inches or OVERALL length UNDER 26 inches is an NFA items and requires a tax stamp.

medalguy - to stir the pot some :p ............we have this

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497095

I am on record as saying that "playing" around in this grey area can get you seriously burned, or lots of lawyer bills at least. :D

But to get to the specific topic of this thread - it would take someone more courageous than me to shoot that thing, and yes it would require a BATFE Form 1 / Tax Stamp. Reminds me of an (illegal) cut down Enfield I saw once.

Back